Thread: PC-BSD which later became TrueOS is now DEAD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

PC-BSD which later became TrueOS is now DEAD

PC-BSD which later became TrueOS used to be one of the few FreeBSD based distros which was customized for desktop use.
    FreeBSD as you know is purely a server OS.

I had used PC-BSD for some months in the past. Its really sad that its no longer maintained.

Read this >>> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...No-More-TrueOS
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PC-BSD which later became TrueOS is now DEAD

PC-BSD was the best. A lot of based on FreeBSD out there. Tried GhostBSD; just ok for me. On my system couldn't get xorg to work on FreeBSD. Tried everything.

O)9(yo&# is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It actually had an extended run as Trident. That was still BSD at first; later it became based on Void Linux, so now is technically reborn in a new form.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I too used PC-BCD, though never as a primary OS, it was much easier to install than FreeBSD (for desktop use).

I haven't used it in a long time though; this, my primary hirsute install (artful when installed), was PC-BCD (TrueOS) before that, so it was a number of years ago for me.

(I may have another long-ago abandoned PC-BSD (9) install on a box that really isn't used except as white-noise generator (fan noise) & to keep a screen sitting on it the correct height)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just curious -- why would you want to run BSD as a desktop distro. Yes I'm aware it can be done however this seems like more an edge case than real world use case.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Just curious -- why would you want to run BSD as a desktop distro. Yes I'm aware it can be done however this seems like more an edge case than real world use case.
    Why? Why not.

I used unix back at uni (before windows was anything but a joke, 10 [360kb] floppies to be loaded for windows to start (on boxes without hard-drives) and you only create a maximum 2KB file using windows' (ver 1) default text editor..) BSD existed & I knew of it.

My work had me using other hardware/software/OSes & I became an OS/2 user at home. When OS/2 died, I was eventually left with a decision of BSD (I'd used before) or the GNU/Linux I'd pretty much ignored.

I used the two side by side (desktops) but found myself more productive on GNU/Linux, so gradually dropped using desktop BSD.

(Actually I'm really thankful of a guy whom thought my then using an old compaq_III [80286] portable for note taking was ridiculous, and put me in touch with ComputerBank (Victoria, Australia) where I could get a gratis & more-modern [80486] ~laptop with [Debian] GNU/Linux on it... If not for that, I'd possibly be a BSD desktop user still today).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I also worked in Unix for the Bell Systems. We had a terminal and that's it. When vi came along we were very ecstatic. No longer trying to manipulate ed and the shell into some kind of document.
    GUi was something we stepped into outside. The latest home brew systems were Heathkit then KIM, then came my favorite Aim-65. These were all led display. I built a video board for my Aim-65 which was fun. Years before the Zerox computer which pre-dated Windows.

So yes, BSD has every right to be a desktop. Apple will agree.