Thread: Upgraded from 18.0.4 LTS to 20.04.2 LTS and nolonger can send email

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgraded from 18.0.4 LTS to 20.04.2 LTS and nolonger can send email

I was using Thunderbird Mail while on 18.0.4 Bionic Beaver with no problems at all.
    Next I did a full upgrade to 20.04.2 LTS and everything returned as it was on 18.0.4 except I cannot send emails.
    Receiving emails works just fine but when I send the progress indicator just keeps moving side to side and finally I get

"Sending of the message failed.
    The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.sasktel.net timed out. Try again."

I have repeatedly gone into my account settings comparing them to my Windows 7 Outlook settings, and duplicating settings with no success.
    I even took pictures of all my Outlook settings to eliminate any possible errors or omissions and even used my smartphone email settings as well.

Is there a firewall setting that has changed since the full upgrade allowing incoming data but not allowing data to flow out?
    Otherwise my Firefox browser is working great including using it to post this.

As for my hardware, I'm using an MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition Motherboard with AMD FX-8370 eight core processor and dual booting Windoze 7 Pro

I keep testing by sending an email to myself with repeatedly the same response.
    Last edited by hennmann; February 24th, 2021 at 11:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Upgraded from 18.0.4 LTS to 20.04.2 LTS and nolonger can send email

After spending a great deal of time reusing all of my previous settings that have worked for years I contacted my internet service provider and was informed that the newest email clients are less forgiving
    than the earlier and I had to change the settings for server security and port settings.
    WTH these settings worked before the upgrade and the ONLY thing I can see that has changed is Ubuntu version BUT perhaps during the total upgrade has my Thunderbird Mail Client been upgraded??

Meanwhile my Windows 7 using Office 2007 (which is no longer supported) is still sending and receiving emails with my original server/security settings.
    What are other Ubuntu users finding after the 20.04.2 upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Upgraded from 18.0.4 LTS to 20.04.2 LTS and nolonger can send email

Quote Originally Posted by hennmann View Post
    perhaps during the total upgrade has my Thunderbird Mail Client been upgraded??
    It has. 18.04 uses Thunderbird 68, 20.04 uses Thunderdbird 78.