Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to buy a new printer - what (brand?) works best with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Want to buy a new printer - what (brand?) works best with Ubuntu?

I have an older Brother MFC-7360N that works without any issues. I got it on sale for $99 (refurbished, originally over $300) at Staples online store several years ago. As a multi-function device it scans and faxes also; I use the scanner quite often during the tax season. Like SeijiSensei in #10, I assigned a static IP address to mine: it works great from any computer on my network. As an older device, the MFC-7360N does not have wireless connectivity so the Brother Android app does not work with legacy devices - I just tried it.
    Last edited by him610; March 6th, 2021 at 10:41 PM.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just installed my new Brother MFC_L3750CDW.

It worked almost like a charm.

Just pressed the „WPS“ button on my router and after automated WIFI connection of the printer Ubuntu instantly installed the pre-installed driver Printing worked fine, but scanning was somewhat unreliable.

So I installed the debian driver that was available on the Brother support home page. And now I have some additional settings for the print quality and scanning also works perfect. So far I‘m very pleased.

Thanks for your hints. I don‘t think I would have chosen Brother without the suggestions.

Probably I will not print more than 25-50 pages per month, but I was really sick of blocked inkjet printer heads, so I hope this laser printer will suit my application best.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If compatibility is the primary goal, get a printer that supports 2 things:
    1. postscript
    2. ipp

Then you are golden regardless of everything else, including the OS.

I'd avoid inkjets. The cost of ink is like gold/platinum. Very expensive.

I have a cheap Samsung PCL laser printer. It has always shown up in the list-o-printers since 14.04 - well, not the exact model, but a model that is close enough to work fully. Thanks to CUPS, sometimes I just use lpr to throw PDF files directly at the printer. That works too, since it knows how to convert .ps and .pdf files for the printer.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If compatibility is the primary goal, get a printer that supports 2 things:
    1. postscript
    2. ipp

Then you are golden regardless of everything else, including the OS.
    Compatibility with what? Why is PostScript capability a must? Why is it important? Many (most?) modern devices do not support it.

IPP I agree with. But as, I implied in the first post in this thread, all modern printers with network capability support the protocol well.
    Brian.

Beans

I think everything supports Postscript these days except perhaps for HPs. (I haven't owned one in quite a while.) I actually had to switch my Brother into PS mode to print envelopes properly. Works fine in that mode for everything else, too.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Not quite the situation, but many modern printers, including HPs, do indeed have a PostScript interpreter. However, the default printing system prefers other languages to send jobs to a printer, so it doesn't get used. PostScript as some part of a Gold Standard isn't the case.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brian_p View Post
    All modern printers are supported by Ubuntu.

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
    .... except most Brother printers (clunky slow inconsistent functioning at best) and pretty much all Brother scanners.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
    .... except most Brother printers (clunky slow inconsistent functioning at best) and pretty much all Brother scanners.
    The important word is modern; that is, those devices put on the market in the past five years or so. However, I would alter my statement to include network-capable; USB-only devices may or may not support driverless printing.
    So we have: all modern, network-capable printers, including those manufactured by Brother, are supported by Ubuntu.

A Brother scanner in an MFD is also very likely to be supported on Ubuntu via SANE and/or sane-airscan.
    Brian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12