Thread: Can I install WordPress for local-only use on a normal desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Can I install WordPress for local-only use on a normal desktop?

I hope that this is the right forum for my query.

Explanation of what I want

1. I have a few websites hosted by GoDaddy
    2. The websites are independent of each other (each has its own domain name, MySQL database, file storage area)
    3. I want to develop the websites on my machine rather than on the GoDaddy host (for speed)
    4. The sites need to be local only, because I don't have the skills to apply security against the wider internet
    5. However, the sites need to be able to access the internet, e.g. to install plugins and themes
    6. Once developed, I copy each website (files and MySQL database) to GoDaddy

I know how to do step 6 (copy a website to a new domain name, area and database); I've done that many times.

But what I don't know is how to set up WordPress on my own machine.

I looked at the Ubuntu tutorial for WordPress. That method seems to be for local only, which is what I want. But, the method seems to allow for only one WordPress site, rather than multiple independent sites.

Further information

• I'm running a standard Ubuntu 20.04 desktop (not server)
    • If security is too hard or problematic for my desktop, maybe I could install a server on a VirtualBox and use that as the server for my websites?

Is there a "Local WordPress sites for Dummies" that I can follow to achieve this? It seems that it should be simple, but I don't understand the process and thus I could easily mess it up.

Thank you
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can I install WordPress for local-only use on a normal desktop?

Yes it should be possible. I found the following link, which might help you (it's an older article, but I can't see why it shouldn't work).

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...gle-ubuntu-vps

Basically, what you have to do is "expand" the tutorial you linked to contain multiple sites in Apache, MySQL and Wordpress itself.

Good luck!
    Supermicro Server :: Atom C3558 (4) @ 2.2 GHz :: 64 GB ECC DDR4-2400 :: 512 GB NVMe :: 4x 2 TB SSD @ RAID-Z :: 1x Raspberry Pi 4 Server

Scripts: directory-tools | rsync-backup | add-apt-key

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ameinild View Post
    … I found the following link, which might help you…
    Thank you! I'll try it and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@Paddy Landau

You ever thought about using a combination of docker containers for wordpress? I'm assuming you'll need a database backend (mariadb or postgresql), a caching redis server, and likely a reverse proxy. With a reverse proxy such as caddy or traefik or nginx proxy manager you could even incorporate automatic retrieval and renewal of Let's Encrypt certificates if you wanted to be thorough in your testing. I know Wordpress is tricky in terms of security and I like in these situations of relying on the container approach.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@Paddy Landau, what you want to accomplish is very possible.

Does not matter if you are running Ubuntu Desktop. The Server and Desktop share the same core OS so installing MariaDB, Apache and PHP is the same process for either.

Being multi-site is also not a big deal. However, most tutorials out there on the web just show you have 5 step install for a default site. You need to setup separate folders for each wordpress site and configure apache to enable each one.

Example:
    Code:
    /var/www/my.coolsite.com
    /var/www/his.coolsite.com
    I would also create local DNS entries so my workstation would see "my.coolsite.com" and "his.coolsite.com" resolve to the local address. (Reference Example)

Code:
    sudo vi /etc/hosts
    Code:
    127.0.0.1  my.coolsite.com
    127.0.0.1  his.coolsite.com
    Create apache config files for each site:

Code:
    /etc/apache2/sites-available/my.coolsite.com.conf
    /etc/apache2/sites-available/his.coolsite.com.conf
    Test and enable each config:

Code:
    sudo apache2ctl configtest
    sudo a2ensite my.coolsite.com
    sudo a2ensite his.coolsite.com
    As long as you do not open ports on Ubuntu's firewall (assuming you have it enabled/running) and you do not have port-forwarding on your router/firewall to your PC, then those sites on your PC will not be accessible from the Internet but if you need to download files and whatnot, you should be able to do so since outbound traffic is rarely blocked...assuming your PC has Internet access (which it most-likely does).

You "could" set it up to be the exact same domain name as your GoDaddy site so all configurations such as links and the SITEURL / HOMEURL settings in the database will be 100% ready to be exported/imported. But to access the GoDaddy sites instead of your local sites, you would need to edit your local hosts and remove the entries or change the IP address to match GoDaddy's. The other option is to use a different URL but you will need to go through a preparation process before export/import on GoDaddy to fix the URL paths. Be warned that if you use a different URL during development, you might run the risk of hard-coding links in your posts and not realizing it until you copy it to GoDaddy and later find that some things no longer work because they are pointing to a non-existing development URL. Be sure to always use relative paths for all links to your own site so the ONLY URL you change when exporting to production is your SITEURL / HOMEURL variable in the database. You should do this anyway as good practice (sometimes domain names change) but it is critically important when changing URLs from development to production.

LHammonds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    You ever thought about using a combination of docker containers for wordpress?
    I had thought of a VM, but I hadn't thought of Docker — precisely because I don't understand how Docker works. I've tried looking it up, but everything that I found seems to be aimed towards someone who already understands it. I'd love to try, if you have a link to a simple how-to.
    I'm assuming you'll need a database backend (mariadb or postgresql)…
    GoDaddy uses MySQL, so I should probably use the same for full compatibility.
    … a caching redis server, and likely a reverse proxy. With a reverse proxy such as caddy or traefik or nginx proxy manager you could even incorporate automatic retrieval and renewal of Let's Encrypt certificates if you wanted to be thorough in your testing.
    Most of that I don't even understand! (I'm not sufficiently technical.) And, I hadn't thought about the SSL — unless it's easy to get around, that could prove to be a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I use Let's Encrypt on GoDaddy, using its API system, so I'm guessing that I can do the same on my machine.
    I know Wordpress is tricky in terms of security and I like in these situations of relying on the container approach.
    That sounds wise.

Thank you for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Being multi-site is also not a big deal. However, most tutorials out there on the web just show you have 5 step install for a default site. You need to setup separate folders for each wordpress site and configure apache to enable each one. …
    Thank you. That makes it clearer.
    I would also create local DNS entries so my workstation would see "my.coolsite.com" and "his.coolsite.com" resolve to the local address.
    I've actually done something like this before, so it looks familiar to me.
    Create apache config files for each site:
    I don't know what goes in those files. I'm starting to worry that I've bitten off more than I can chew
    As long as you do not open ports on Ubuntu's firewall…
    At the moment, I haven't configured the firewall at all. I've depended on my router (and I haven't set up port forwarding). I shall have a look at the firewall.
    You "could" set it up to be the exact same domain name as your GoDaddy site…
    That's a clever idea, which I'll consider. I am aware of the tricky bits when moving a WordPress website from one domain to another. For that, I've used InterconnectIT as a great help.

Thank you for your advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    I don't know what goes in those files. I'm starting to worry that I've bitten off more than I can chew
    Nah, you'll do fine. Start with the basics and add to it as needed. Do not try to create the end-all-be-all config as a first step. Just get it working enough so you can create a test php file to verify the basics are there. Then add on bits specific for a WordPress site and test it. Then add SSL if you want but that gets a bit trickier if your site is not accessible from the Internet for certbot to access. For internal testing, you could just create your own SSL certificate but you would then need to import the root cert into your browser so you do not get the warning about not being a trusted certificate authority.

Here is a basic config just so we can test that PHP works:

/etc/apache2/sites-available/my.coolsite.com.conf
    Code:
    <VirtualHost *:80>
      ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
      ServerName my.coolsite.com
      ServerAlias my.coolsite.com
      DocumentRoot /var/www/my.coolsite.com
      ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/my.coolsite.com-error.log
      CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/my.coolsite.com-access.log combined
    </VirtualHost>
    Test the site config file for any syntax errors:
    Code:
    Enable the site config:
    Code:
    sudo a2ensite my.coolsite.com
    Now create a test file:

Code:
    echo "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" > /var/www/my.coolsite.com/phpinfo.php
    chown www-data:www-data /var/www/my.coolsite.com/phpinfo.php
    chmod 644 /var/www/my.coolsite.com/phpinfo.php
    Open a browser and see if the test page shows up: http://my.coolsite.com/phpinfo.php

Since you are testing the server on the same machine as the browser accessing it, there will be no firewall rules that will get in the way since you are not "crossing" the firewall line. You would only need to worry about the firewall rules if you were to try and test this from another machine on your local network.

Once you verify the site is running and that you have all the modules enabled that WordPress requires, you can then proceed to install WordPress and make changes to the site config file as needed. Example:

Code:
    <VirtualHost *:80>
      ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
      ServerName my.coolsite.com
      ServerAlias my.coolsite.com
      DocumentRoot /var/www/my.coolsite.com
      ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/my.coolsite.com-error.log
      CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/my.coolsite.com-access.log combined
      <Directory /var/www/my.coolsite.com>
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride Limit Options FileInfo
        DirectoryIndex index.php
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
      </Directory>
      <Directory /var/www/my.coolsite.com/wp-content>
        Options FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
      </Directory>
    </VirtualHost>
    Test and reload the apache configuration file.

Code:
    sudo systemctl apache2 reload
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    At the moment, I haven't configured the firewall at all. I've depended on my router (and I haven't set up port forwarding). I shall have a look at the firewall.
    Here is a script I use to configure the firewall rules and turn it on...which will remain on even during a reboot.

You can copy this script and use it for your own purposes and tweak it for your environment. Enough commands are used/documented in it that you should be able to modify it to fit your particular server. For example, if running a web server, you can uncomment the commands to allow TCP port 80 and 443.

I NEVER simply copy this script and run it. Each and every server requires a custom variation of this script tailored for it. The application section has examples for commonly used services such as web, database, etc. Feel free to uncomment lines you can use and modify to suit your needs.

/var/scripts/prod/en-firewall.sh (GitHub Download)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #############################################################
    ## Name          : enable-firewall.sh
    ## Version       : 1.1
    ## Date          : 2017-04-13
    ## Author        : LHammonds
    ## Compatibility : Ubuntu Server 12.04 - 20.04 LTS
    ## Requirements  : Run as root
    ## Purpose       : Restore and enable firewall.
    ## Run Frequency : As needed
    ## Exit Codes    : None
    ###################### CHANGE LOG ###########################
    ## DATE       VER WHO WHAT WAS CHANGED
    ## ---------- --- --- ---------------------------------------
    ## 2015-08-28 1.0 LTH  Created script.
    ## 2017-04-13 1.1 LTH  Added comments in rules.
    #############################################################

## Requirement Check: Script must run as root user.
    if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
      ## FATAL ERROR DETECTED: Document problem and terminate script.
      echo -e "\nERROR: Root user required to run this script.\n"
      echo -e "Type 'sudo su' to temporarily become root user.\n"
      exit
    fi

clear
    echo ""
    echo "Resetting Firewall to factory default"
    echo y | ufw reset 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    ufw default deny incoming 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    ufw default allow outgoing 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    echo "Allowing SSH from only LAN connections"
    ufw allow from 192.168.1.0/24 to any port 22 comment 'SSH via LAN' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    echo "Allowing Samba file sharing connections"
    ufw allow proto tcp to any port 135,139,445 comment 'Samba Share' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    ufw allow proto udp to any port 137,138 comment 'Samba Share' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    echo "Allowing Nagios connections"
    ufw allow from 192.168.107.21 to any port 12489 comment 'Nagios' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    ufw allow from 192.168.107.21 proto tcp to any port 5666 comment 'Nagios' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    echo "Adding Application-specific rules"
    #echo "Adding MySQL/MariaDB rules"
    #ufw allow from 192.168.1.0/24 proto tcp to any port 3306 comment 'MariaDB via LAN' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    #ufw allow from 192.168.2.0/24 proto tcp to any port 3306 comment 'MariaDB via LAN' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    #echo "Adding FTP/FTPS rules"
    #ufw allow proto tcp to any port 990 comment 'FTPS' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    #ufw allow proto tcp to any port 21 comment 'FTP' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    #ufw allow proto tcp to any port 2000:2020 comment 'FTP Passive' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    #echo "Adding Web Server rules"
    #ufw allow proto tcp to any port 80 comment 'HTTP Service' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    #ufw allow proto tcp to any port 8080 comment 'HTTP Service' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    #ufw allow proto tcp to any port 443 comment 'HTTPS Service' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    echo "Enabling firewall"
    echo y | ufw enable 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    echo "Firewall enabled and all rules have been configured."
    EDIT: Hopefully I did not miss any crucial bits, I did not sleep well. If you have more questions / concerns, just post them.
    Last edited by LHammonds; February 25th, 2021 at 03:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nah, you'll do fine…
    Thanks so much for your help! I shall try to do all of this over the next couple of days, or maybe the weekend.

If I have further questions, I'll post again.