Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 Modprobe - ndiswrapper not found

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 Modprobe - ndiswrapper not found

os Ubuntu 20.04
    ndiswrapper 1.60-8ubuntu3
    wireless dongle Netgear n-300 (wna3100)

I have been able to install the above ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper -l displays "bcmwlhigh5: driver installed; device (0846:9020) present. When I run "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper" I get

modprobe: FATAL: module ndswrapper not found in directory /lib/modules/5.8.0-43-generic.

I have not found any information on the above version combination. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Modprobe - ndiswrapper not found

First things first: Are you sure that the kernel will not drive that adapter natively? Do you need NDISWrapper?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    First things first: Are you sure that the kernel will not drive that adapter natively? Do you need NDISWrapper?
    I am not certain but I did not see any indication that it knew about wireless (no options in network settings).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Most wireless devices have driver modules already in the kernel, making NDISWrapper unnecessary. Unfortunately, I have not found good news for you with regard to yours.

In 2015 this was posted on the forums. Having searched a number of other forums and AskUbuntu, it does not seem that the news has gotten any better for that hardware even up to now. The general gist seems to be that even using NDISWrapper (Which is deprecated, by the way. Deprecated does not mean eliminated, just "not recommended because there are better things"), your chances of getting that hardware to work are slim to none.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

update; /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf shows the wlan0 alias. Do I need to copy that over to the folder where modprobe say itis not finding and, if so, exactly what is the path?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In 2015 this was posted on the forums. Having searched a number of other forums and AskUbuntu, it does not seem that the news has gotten any better for that hardware even up to now. The general gist seems to be that even using NDISWrapper (Which is deprecated, by the way. Deprecated does not mean eliminated, just "not recommended because there are better things"), your chances of getting that hardware to work are slim to none.
    Correct. I have not seen a single case of ndiswrapper working correctly either here or at askubuntu in many years.I suggest that you get a different device. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2397914
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.