Thread: Video editor for Ubuntu which is comparable to FCP or Premiere Pro?

Beans

Video editor for Ubuntu which is comparable to FCP or Premiere Pro?

Are there video editors for Ubuntu which are comparable to either Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro? I don’t need to have a clone of those applications, but I’d like to have something with a professional toolset, comparably powerful.

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Video editor for Ubuntu which is comparable to FCP or Premiere Pro?

Check out
    • KdenLive
    • Shotcut
    • OpenShot
    for the F/LOSS options. There are some paid, closed source, editors from commercial vendors. These are used mostly by professionals in movie studios https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/ There is a free version and the paid version supports professional editing keyboards, audio and color consoles, etc.

When you are new to Linux, it is good to learn about sites that will answer questions like this for you.
    alternativeTo.net is one. https://alternativeto.net/software/final-cut-pro/

Picking a solution will be extremely personal. I've tried shotcut and openshot myself and attended a presentation on KdenLive at a Linux Conference. The KdenLive program crashed twice during a 45 min presentation. That was 3-5 yrs ago, so hopefully it is more stable today. For my needs at the time, I picked shotcut, but it really wasn't what I needed either. Most of the time, I use mplayer in edl mode. This can avoid re-rendering all the video, which is a goal of mine. I'd rather have modifications take the time to copy the file, than the time to re-render everything. 20 seconds vs 60 minutes.
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:00 PM.