Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeating Display

Beans

Repeating Display

Complete Ubuntu/Linux newb.

I've installed Ubuntu on a fairly elderly Samsung all-in-one PC. It's a great machine which can't handle Windows any more but doesn't deserve to be thrown out.

The installation seems to have gone fine except that the display/desktop repeats 3 times vertically and about 1.5 times horizontally.

EuwezmnXIAU_ny6.jpg

It's difficult to read what's on the screen but I've managed to go to the Display Settings and there's only one resolution setting - 1280 x 720.

I've found it almost impossible to find a good search phrase which might provide me with some help which is why I've posted here. Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

cheers

Garve

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Repeating Display

Can you give us the model # of the computer? And what version of 'buntu are you trying to install?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When you installed Ubuntu did you tick the box Install third party software? If you did then you will be using a proprietary video driver. What video card do you have in that machine. How much of its own video memory does it have.

Do you get a Grub boot menu? If so, then select Advanced Options for Ubuntu. and then select a Linux kernel with recovery mode. At the recovery menu select Resume. That should load to the login screen using a low video resolution open source driver. That should get you to a desktop. Now, open Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab. And either de-activate the proprietary video driver if it is installed. Or, tick to install it if it is not installed. Then reboot. What is the result now?

It may be that that elderly machine does not have the CPU, Memory & video card that can run Ubuntu. You may need to install a flavour of Ubuntu that is less demanding of system resources. Such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Dear g4rve:

Do you inspect your display mode match you software setting sometime that just not match.
    I have a test way maybe that not helpful,

-choice others resolution mode
    -fixed a software resolution mode and selection other setting at your display.
    -If both are not working well. try to other USB boot driver of version of Ubuntu, testing compatible.
    Last edited by chrischang2021; February 23rd, 2021 at 04:35 AM.

Beans

I believe I did tick that box but don't know for certain. Each of my tiny repeating desktops are difficult to use/read but not impossible. When I go to Software & Updates > Additonal Drivers it tells me "No Additional Drivers Available" and "No Proprietary Drivers Are In Use".

I'd be surprised if it isn't powerful enough to run Ubuntu. It does run Windows 10, just really slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    When you installed Ubuntu did you tick the box Install third party software? If you did then you will be using a proprietary video driver. What video card do you have in that machine. How much of its own video memory does it have.

Do you get a Grub boot menu? If so, then select Advanced Options for Ubuntu. and then select a Linux kernel with recovery mode. At the recovery menu select Resume. That should load to the login screen using a low video resolution open source driver. That should get you to a desktop. Now, open Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab. And either de-activate the proprietary video driver if it is installed. Or, tick to install it if it is not installed. Then reboot. What is the result now?

It may be that that elderly machine does not have the CPU, Memory & video card that can run Ubuntu. You may need to install a flavour of Ubuntu that is less demanding of system resources. Such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

Regards

Beans

A Samsung all-in-one PC about 8 years old. No obvious model no. Downloaded the latest stable version yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Can you give us the model # of the computer? And what version of 'buntu are you trying to install?

Beans

When I try to change resolution it only gives me one option, 1280 x 720.

Quote Originally Posted by chrischang2021 View Post
    Dear g4rve:

Do you inspect your display mode match you software setting sometime that just not match.
    I have a test way maybe that not helpful,

-choice others resolution mode
    -fixed a software resolution mode and selection other setting at your display.
    -If both are not working well. try to other USB boot driver of version of Ubuntu, testing compatible.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Latest stable version? 20.10? You really need to d-l 20.04 and try that. That is an LTS (long term service) release. Anything newer than that may or may not be stable. Consider 20.10 a beta release.

Beans

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It was 20.04.

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Latest stable version? 20.10? You really need to d-l 20.04 and try that. That is an LTS (long term service) release. Anything newer than that may or may not be stable. Consider 20.10 a beta release.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Some details on the graphics hardware may help. This command can give some details:
    Code:
    inxi --graphics
    If inxi isn't installed, first install it using
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install inxi
    Alternatively, use any graphical package manager you like. They are all front-ends to the same package management system.

Also, what type of connection do you use between computer and monitor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast