Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: snapd? not sure

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: snapd? not sure

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    That is not my experience. Can I get a non-snap version of lxd? Please?
    The ideal that snaps are run anywhere is great, but not true. About 70-80% of the snaps I install won't run. Seems they don't include the dependencies. Also, none seem to work over X11 remote connections, which is almost always the way I work.
    +100, I also have no need for it, so it gets the boot (removed) right off the get go.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Snaps and flatpaks terrify me, so I hide under my bed because I read a scary and tersely worded screed on a blog a long time ago.

Beans

You jest, but if you get around to installing Slackware (or OpenBSD), which doesn't have any of the power sapping bloatware that comes by default with Ubuntu, you will be blown away by the newfound speed of your machine and will then appreciate why there are many people who do not want the mostly useless bloatware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    I personally wouldn't purge `snapd`, but with a couple of commands you can disable it so it doesn't run (allowing you to enable it faster should you need it).

As the snaps run as containerized applications, the 'unique' or 'different' layout doesn't worry me at all, and when I've had issues with a snap (rare, and with `chromium` mostly), it wasn't really any harder to work out where my user data was than back when it was a deb package (chromium has been a snap package on my system for ~21 months now).

For developers, they make sense; snap (package) it once and it'll run on all releases, where as deb packages really need to be built for every release (not that difficult if built on infrastructure, just click the releases you want to build for, but that's still a lot of packages that need testing, instead of a single snap).

Snaps needing extra resources required (mostly by containerization) I'm no fan of (especially with my aged hardware), but they provides greater choices (I can even find/use a chromium via deb package if I wanted to) as there are programs only available as snap (which likely would never be packaged as deb).
    I guess I got unlucky. The first package I installed with Ubuntu Software app used snap and it was an obsolete package in Snap. The apps main website didn't mention snap as even an option. The second package was also from the Ubuntu Software app was VSCode. It was up to date, but the install location was totally messed up. I could not figure it out. Luckily I could remove and install with apt. For now I'll use Linux Mint 20 where they will not allow snap apps to be installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
    The second package was also from the Ubuntu Software app was VSCode. It was up to date, but the install location was totally messed up. I could not figure it out. Luckily I could remove and install with apt.
    I hope that you are not referring to Microsoft VS Code?
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yaminb View Post
    I've learned to like snaps.
    Though I agree there are new things to learn. I have also been unsure which files are used. Which configuration files are used...
    I also 'dislike' Ubuntu hiding snap usage behind apt. I find things more confusing that way.

That said, things like the directory structure are workable.
    https://snapcraft.io/docs/system-snap-directory

Essentially, the snap would be located here:
    /snap/<snapname>/current

Yet, as others have said there are ways to remove SNAP and you can always still use .deb or PPAs to get things installed.

Yet, I'd encourage you to just learn to deal with SNAPs as any other part of a system. Ubuntu is going to choose certain packages to be on SNAP by default and away from the base repo.
    You're going to end up removing packages and having a fair bit of extra overhead maintaining PPAs and what not just to avoid snaps.
    The problem with installing everything in /snap/<snapname>/current is that if <snapname> is a software development system, the world that uses that software has decades of knowledge and scripts that know where everything is supposed to be located and now it somewhere else taking up even more disk space with another directory that seems to have duplicates of current, in my case directory "50" at the same level as current.

I don't have a problem with the concept of snap putting things in their own "sandbox" or container. I use containers when I use Docker on my servers, but that's not forced on me my the OS maintainer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dinkidonk View Post
    I hope that you are not referring to Microsoft VS Code?
    VSCode is the preferred development platform for the new Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller for C/C++ with SWD hardware debugging. That's why I installed it. Also ESP32 MCU development with Arduino AVR with JTAG debugging is the domain of PlatformIO which is a plugin to VSCode.

So like it or not, it's what I use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
    VSCode is the preferred development platform for the new Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller for C/C++ with SWD hardware debugging. That's why I installed it. Also ESP32 MCU development with Arduino AVR with JTAG debugging is the domain of PlatformIO which is a plugin to VSCode.

So like it or not, it's what I use.
    In case you've been living under a rock, here's one for ya.
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

snapd is the first thing I remove after a new install. That and any google garbage I find.
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/cache/snapd/; sudo apt autoremove --purge snapd gnome-software-plugin-snap kio-gdrive; sudo rm -rf ~/snap;sudo rm -rf /snap; sudo rm -rf /var/snap; sudo rm -rf /var/lib/snapd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12