Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new studio installl help please

Beans

new studio installl help please

can anyone help me with this>? i choose to install alongside win10 but it chooses another HDD I can't change, and I want it on the SSD with win10 - i tried "something else" but over my head a bit
    thanks
    I've done it before but long time ago with mint

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: new studio installl help please

Use Windows tools to shrink the Windows partitions on the SSD to make room. You can use gparted on the live disk to create Ubuntu partitions, or you can do it in the installer. Select the partition, click "edit", set filesystem type and mountpoint, then install. On UEFI systems, the bootloader is automatically put in the efi partition of the first drive.

Beans

and do i just create the one single partition?
    or do I create 3 as it seems the way linux works, a partition for home, swapfile and OS
    thanks for the help

Beans

i created a partition on the SSD but still wouldn't let me chose the SSD from first option and o something else when I highlighted that partition it threw up som error which I cant remember what it said but I wasn also unable to TICK the partition for formatting, used Minitool Partition wizard, I have since undone the partition back to what it was as its obviously the wrong way

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Minitool PartitionWizard is a Windows tool that only knows about Windows partitions (FAT and NTFS). It's good to shrink Windows partitions, but useless when dealing with Linux partitions. Use gparted. It's included on the live disk.

There are many ways to partition your hard drives for Ubuntu and there's no simple right or wrong. At the very least you need a root partition, where the main part of the OS and applications are stored. Put it on the SSD. It must be at least 30GB (technically, it can be less, but you'll have to be careful) and it must be of a type that supports UNIX-style permissions, so no NTFS or FAT. Use ext4 unless you have some good reason to use something else. The mountpoint for the root partition is /.

A swap partition is optional. If you don't create one, the installer will create a swap file instead. In that case, make sure there's enough room for it on the root partition (about 4GB).

A /home partition (mountpoint /home, best to make it ext4 too) is where your documents and personal settings will be stored. It's optional, but keeping your documents outside the root partition is recommended on larger systems. There are other ways to do it.

What do you want to do with your other hard drive? Is it for documents you want to share between both OSs? Or do you want your /home partition there?

Most Windows 10 systems use UEFI and GPT partitioning, which is good. Some use dynamic disks, which is bad, as this is some Windows extension that doesn't work with Linux.

Beans

Reading the official Ubuntu Documentation on the subject at the link below before trying to install again should answer your questions.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Compatibility support mode (CSM) should be disabled in the EFI setup. Also, make sure fast startup and hibernation are disabled on the Windows installation, then do a complete shut down (power off) from the Windows session before trying to install a Linux.
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Beans

this is an old 2009 SandyBridge PC with BIOS not UEFI
    all that instructions./ etc are totally over my head - dunno why they cant make it simpler

Beans

ok so even installing it on another drive didnt work.... ive installed mint before on my dd machine and my own years back, why is it so difficult now? is it cos im using UBUNTU STUDIO m not the ones everyone coming from windows uses so installers are probably better/easier?

P.S. Minitool DOES do Ext4 etc
    Last edited by 1byte; February 23rd, 2021 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast