Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new studio installl help please

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: new studio installl help please

Quote Originally Posted by 1byte View Post
    P.S. Minitool DOES do Ext4 etc
    Does it? I didn't see it mentioned on their website. This time, I actually checked. Quickly.

What about giving us some data?

How are your ssd and harddrive currently partitioned? Where do you want the Ubuntu operating system and applications, your user settings, your documents? Do you want your documents to be available from both operating systems? It's normal for a computer from 2009 to be bios, it's less common for such an old computer to run Windows 10 satisfactory. Dual booting with Windows 10 can be a bit of a hassle, in particular in bios mode. It was easier before Windows 8. What are the specs of that computer? In particular memory, CPU and graphics hardware. If 12 years old, Ubuntu may be too much for it, but the lighter flavours may be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1byte View Post
    all that instructions./ etc are totally over my head - dunno why they cant make it simpler
    If you wipe Windows, it's really simple.
    Last edited by Impavidus; 2 Days Ago at 06:01 PM.

Beans

i have:
    2 x 2 TB drives and 1 x 500GB drive for DATA storage
    1 x 250GB Samsung EVO which has win10 on and I want Ubuntu Studio on the SSD too, I know it's possible cos I've done it before with MINT on my dads PC and its the SAME PC as have it now...
    ill have to print off instructions and follow them
    its 4Ghz Quad-Core 32nm SandyBrdge with 1GB 256-Bit GTX460 and 12GB of 1600Mhz RAM - so think it is powerful enough for ANY linux distro

Beans
    Distro

Quite a powerful computer, for one that's 12 years old. I guess it has seen some upgrades?

In Windows, create enough unallocated space on the drive where you want to install Ubuntu. Disable FastStartup (a setting that uses hibernation to make Windows appear boot faster, but grub can't boot Windows in that state) and make sure you've got a Windows repair drive (you may need one if Windows decides to enable FastStartup).

In the Ubuntu live session, create the Linux partitions you want. Run the installer, choose "something else". Select your partitions and give each its mountpoint. If not available from the dropdown list, just leave it. it can be fixed later.

Normally on dual boot systems in bios style with multiple hard drives, you keep the Windows bootloader on one and put the Linux bootloader on a different drive. I think you can put grub on a different drive from the one where you put the root partition. You'd have to set boot priority to that drive. It's a bit unusual though, and there may be some caveats in it.

I can't be more specific.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Quite a powerful computer, for one that's 12 years old. I guess it has seen some upgrades?

In Windows, create enough unallocated space on the drive where you want to install Ubuntu. Disable FastStartup (a setting that uses hibernation to make Windows appear boot faster, but grub can't boot Windows in that state) and make sure you've got a Windows repair drive (you may need one if Windows decides to enable FastStartup).

In the Ubuntu live session, create the Linux partitions you want. Run the installer, choose "something else". Select your partitions and give each its mountpoint. If not available from the dropdown list, just leave it. it can be fixed later.

Normally on dual boot systems in bios style with multiple hard drives, you keep the Windows bootloader on one and put the Linux bootloader on a different drive. I think you can put grub on a different drive from the one where you put the root partition. You'd have to set boot priority to that drive. It's a bit unusual though, and there may be some caveats in it.

I can't be more specific.
    no probs n thanks for your help, ill print off ur previous instructions n create the 2 ext4 partitions first on Minitool, a 50GB one fo OS, 4Gb one swap-file (if that's the best way)
    thanks again

I'll report back when done

PS: good guess on age of PC, exactly 12 years old hehe - Sandybridge gave it away lol, till on same SSD, only the 2 x 2TB drives added since i built it for my dad whos now give it to me as mine broke (he was FSX player so machine had to be decent at the time sandybridge was the king of the hill)
    Last edited by 1byte; 1 Day Ago at 09:37 AM.

Beans

also yeah i have the documents etc stored on another hard-drive (Pics,docs,music,vids) so that they can be accessed by any OS on the SSD

Beans
    Distro

Just make sure you install Ubuntu on the right drive and don't overwrite your documents. But keep backups nonetheless. As long as Windows FastStartup is off, you can access your files on NTFS partitions from both operating systems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12