Thread: Win 8: Can this be fixed / anything recovered?

Beans

Win 8: Can this be fixed / anything recovered?

Hi,

Hope this is in the right place.

I've got an HP laptop running Windows 8 that refuses to boot. BIOS checks suggest a failed HDD. I've run a bootable Ubuntu distro, and Drive and Gparted can see the disk but it is unmountable, and SMART check shows up a failed drive.

However, Gparted shows the disk having 6 partitions and only 3 of those have warnings (although the one with the data I want has a warning). Is anyone able to confirm if this is a terminal failure, or if there are options can suggest to me the next route to take.

Having trouble physically removing it at the moment, so haven't been able to see if it will run externally. No need to try further if it is terminal.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by QIII; February 21st, 2021 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Can this be fixed / anything recovered?

My best guess is that the partitions were not completely dismounted the last time you shut down. Linux will not touch a Windows partition that has not been properly unmounted because Windows will throw a fit if the contents of a directory have changed since shutdown, suspend or hibernation.

I would suggest as your first and easiest step a stop a Windows forum to see if they can they can help you with that bit. We're happy to help, but if you can get Win 8 (and I would suggest a supported OS, by the way) working I think the road ahead would be easier.

That doesn't mean someone else won't be along in this thread to help, however.

Moved to Windows.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Win 8: Can this be fixed / anything recovered?

Those three partitions (sda2; sda3; sda4) are not showing any part of them as being Used. I suggest that you need Windows tools to work on this drive & operating system. You need advice from a Microsoft/Windows 8 forum.

Linux/Ubuntu tools might have difficulty in accessing this drive if Windows 8 was suspended or hibernated instead of being shutdown. This might explain the impossibility of mounting the drive in the Ubuntu live session.

It seems from this Microsoft help page that you start from a working Windows 8 and create a Windows 8 recovery USB drive from the recovery partition on that drive. Which you do not have.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-8fdef77412d5

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 21st, 2021 at 08:18 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you have Gparted a long shot is to first try the top menu > Device > Attempt Data Rescue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would guess that fast startup was enabled when they failed.
    As far as I know that needs to be disabled in order to mount elsewhere.
    (I have no idea how you disable fast startup outside of Windows)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think that before we suggest possibly risky data recovery methods, we allow the user to consult with Windows experts to see if there is anything to be done in the native OS first.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No software can fix a failed drive.
    But you are showing partitions?

The error on sda3, System reserved is normal. That is required to be unformatted & gparted does not like unformatted partitions.
    The error on sda4 could be normal as Windows default is fast start up which sets hibernation flag. Then Linux NTFS driver cannot mount it.
    Only if you boot Windows & clear fast start up will it be shown correctly, if no other errors that require chkdsk from Windows.

You may just need repairs on the ESP - efi system partition, your sda2.
    You can run chkdsk on it by mounting with your Windows repair/recovery flash drive.

Or you may be able to run dosfsck from Linux.
    Must be unmounted
    sudo dosfsck -t -a -w /dev/sda2
    The -a seems to help in clearing dirty bit
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you have trouble removing the hard drive, you could at least use Ubuntu to clone it to a healthy external hard drive, using ddrescue. But you still need Windows tools to recover files.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

Beans

Many thanks to you all for all of the useful tips and advice, I have lots of options to investigate. Thanks also for the good manners, I half expected a "just google it" or try the forum search function kind of response, but all of you took the time to consider and respond to my problem.

Last edited by QIII; February 24th, 2021 at 06:51 PM. Reason: removed implied vulgarity