Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 3min and 26sec of Terror: (L)ubuntu 20.04 Boot Time

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: The 3min and 26sec of Terror: (L)ubuntu 20.04 Boot Time

This won't help a lot, but every little bit adds up:

In addition to all of the comments above (I especially agree with the speed of SSD vs old HDD), note that the longest startup service in your blame output is the journal. Please do:
    Code:
    sudo journalctl --disk-usage
    If the result is massive (> 1 GB) then you may be able to cut down boot times by trimming journal size down to something more reasonable—say, 100 MB. Instructions ¼ way down the page here. However, don't expect miracles. Your main problem is a slow HDD, which all the tweaking in the world will not solve.

FWIW, my own opinion is that it's not advisable to nuke snap. I do understand the temptation and, if one is a power‑user and knows exactly what trouble one is buying, then anything goes, but for general users who really don't understand what they are getting themselves into (not assuming anything about you here), nuking an element as central to Ubuntu as the devs have made snaps is not advisable.

The problem is that more and more functionality is being hived off into snaps. There's no point in griping about this because that's just what the devs have decided and we, as end users, have to figure out how to work with it rather than against it. For example, Chromium is now only available as a snap. Nix snap; bye-bye Chromium. I don't agree with this decision, but my disagreement is immaterial. That's just how things are.

If you are the sort who has no problem compiling Chromium from source, then snaps are superfluous. But if you are a general user, getting rid of snaps will be very self‑limiting (and even more so as time goes on).

Beans

"How can Win10 is faster than Lubuntu?" - Windows10 uses Suspend. So you are comparing apples with giant pumpkins.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    "How can Win10 is faster than Lubuntu?" - Windows10 uses Suspend. So you are comparing apples with giant pumpkins.
    Hi HermanAB, thank you for support.

I will look for what Suspend is or does.

Now, I do understand why someone on previous post has cited it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I agree with the others, snaps are a small problem here, the big problem is slow and old hardware.

Also, I don't see the point of hating snaps, as you don't have to use them, but alas, linux users will always find something to hate.

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I agree with the others, snaps are a small problem here, the big problem is slow and old hardware.

Also, I don't see the point of hating snaps, as you don't have to use them, but alas, linux users will always find something to hate.
    Yes. Like hating "old and slow hardware". Not everyone is a millionaire.

As I wrote earlier, my machine, which is comparable to the OP's, boots in 26 seconds. I find that acceptable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post

Yes. Like hating "old and slow hardware". Not everyone is a millionaire.

As I wrote earlier, my machine, which is comparable to the OP's, boots in 26 seconds. I find that acceptable.
    I really hope, for your sake, there aren't too many more things you hate. It is not fun. At least, keep the rest secret, because haters are depressing. As for myself, I had better enjoy snaps and old hardware, before they are kicked and banished to hell. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    This won't help a lot, but every little bit adds up:

In addition to all of the comments above (I especially agree with the speed of SSD vs old HDD), note that the longest startup service in your blame output is the journal. Please do:
    Code:
    sudo journalctl --disk-usage
    If the result is massive (> 1 GB) then you may be able to cut down boot times by trimming journal size down to something more reasonable—say, 100 MB. Instructions ¼ way down the page here. However, don't expect miracles. Your main problem is a slow HDD, which all the tweaking in the world will not solve.

Code:
    dell@dell-inspiron1525:~$ sudo journalctl --disk-usage
    [sudo] password for dell: 
    Archived and active journals take up 408.0M in the file system.

This is what I was afraid. Not higher than 1Gb, but higher (4x) than DuckHook said.

I was checking the boot messages. There is something related to anydesk at the final part of the boot, just before the login screen. This should be related to the wifi issue I am facing with rtl8188fu. Gonna have to fix this before anything else;

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Actually, 400 MB is not really "excessive". Mine was 1.7 GB before I took a weed‑whacker to it and, even bloated, it did not appreciably impact my boot times because I use a SSD. Please note that my laptop has very similar HW specs to those you quote, with the single exception that I use a new SSD whereas you use an old HDD. My boot times are less than 30 seconds.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    …Please note that my laptop has very similar HW specs to those you quote, with the single exception that I use a new SSD whereas you use an old HDD. My boot times are less than 30 seconds.
    On second thought, the above is not really fair. I don't install OSes the same way most people do. I use a CLI image and add only what I need. This gives me a very lean system without the cruft that most people get from a typical install.

Note, however, that snapcraft is NOT one of the services that I forego. In my experience, its presence is not really that burdensome whereas its absence would be quite limiting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12