Thread: duplicated screen entries

Beans

duplicated screen entries

As of about a week ago, roughly around the last update I received, I started receiving duplicated entries of the "files" folder on the desktop screen. (everything that is in the "files" folder is duplicated on the screen.)

When I do anything to remove the on screen entries it also removes them from the "files" folder (just to be safe I moved the on screen items to trash) and this also emptied the "files" folder.

I am unable to find a way to remove the unwanted items from the screen while keeping them in the "files" folder. I do not want to lose anything.

Suggestions please on correcting this issue. Please keep in mind I am not extremely computer literate.

Thanks Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: duplicated screen entries

Your description is not at all clear, but it sounds like the issue is that your desktop is showing the contents of your Home directory rather than the contents of ~/Desktop.

Beans

CatKiller

On the left side of the screen there is a group of icons, under the heading of Activities. One of the icons under activities is listed as "files".
    Opening the "files" shows several other headings one of which is "Home". Opening home shows several icons such as "extra" and "snap"
    It is the "Home" and it contents that are doubled on the desktop it self, the screen area to the right of the vertical list under "Activities".

I am unable to remove the icons that are shown on the desktop without completely removing the icons in the "files" at the left side of the screen.
    I do not know a better way to explain it and I do not know how to take a screen shot to add to this request. If I did know how, I would have done it.

I hope that attempt to explain helps.

Beans

x-special/nautilus-clipboard
    copy
    file:///home/mike/Screenshot%20from%202021-02-18%2022-37-45.png

I tried attaching a screenshot, above. If you can see it everything on the right side of the screen is a duplicate of everything in the "files" folder on the left side under the sub heading of Home. As you can see Home is one of the files duplicated.

I hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried attaching a screenshot, above.
    You need to open the attachment feature in the forums to upload images as attachments.

(The attachment feature can be accessed in either Reply to thread or Adv Reply (but no in Quick Reply)
    It's the paperclip like icon in the toolbar)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mordok33 View Post
    It is the "Home" and it contents that are doubled on the desktop it self, the screen area to the right of the vertical list under "Activities".
    So what you're saying is that your desktop is showing the contents of your Home directory rather than the contents of ~/Desktop.

I mentioned it so that you'd know what to look for.

It's configurable... somewhere. I don't use Gnome so I couldn't tell you exactly where. Most people prefer one way, and some people prefer the other way, so it can be changed. Also, if you mess with things - such as by deleting or renaming the ~/Desktop directory - that setting will get inadvertently broken.

Beans

or use something like imageshack to host the image for you and post a URL