Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu installer doesn't see external SSD connected via USB

Beans

Re: Ubuntu installer doesn't see external SSD connected via USB

Not that it would cause the drive to be unavailable, but beware that some cheap SATA=>USB3 adapters / enclosures work very poorly with Linux since UASP support is broken and TRIM is not available. I would not recommend you to install Linux on a SSD connected with USB unless you are sure that UASP abd TRIM is working with the adapter.
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Many (even new) SSD need firmware update to work. Have you checked if firmware is newest available?

I always suggest partitioning in advance with any second drive.
    The Ubuntu installer will not add an ESP- efi system to a second drive & external drives really need an ESP, if you even want to boot from any other system or boot on its own. Ubiquity installer always installs boot files with UEFI into the first or internal drive.

Reboot with external drive unplugged.
    If issues, plug in device and see if shown or error in syslog, contol+c to exit tail listing
    lsusb
    tail -f /var/log/syslog
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

To celtic warrior : I have run it (sudo fdisk -l and also the other you mentioned) and only my main SSD is shown, there is no trace of my external ssd connected via usb. I figure it should be called dev sdb or something similar but there's not trace of it, only my main ssd dev nvme with all its partitions. Also thanks for explaining that I shouldn't bother partitioning; it takes a minute so at least I didn't waste too much time. The weird thing about this is that windows can see it and Ubuntu apparently not.

To mlk: my laptop only has 1 ssd slot so unfortunately I cannot add the external one that way, otherwise I would have done it

To dinkidonk and oldfred: Thanks for pointing out that it could be dangerous, I'll look into it, for now I've given up and just created an ubuntu partition on my main ssd. I am sure that the externally connected SSD itself is working with the usb adapter (enclosure) because yesterday before formatting it, I've tested if I could boot my old windows operating system from it ( it was my old SSD) and it worked fine. I am not sure this also answers the firmware issues question, I am very new to Ubuntu.

Thanks for all the answers anyway! wasn't expecting this much quality support

Since I don't know if this is gonna be solved shortly and I've kind of given up , should i put the solved flag? Or maybe just delete the thread?
    Last edited by avanguardia; February 16th, 2021 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So... A couple of things to try:
    - With the drive connected in Windows disable the Windows Fast Startup feature. The link explains why it should be disable in any circumstance. I must add it's a MUST for dual-booting.
    - If still unrecognized in the Ubuntu live session then please do as recommended above and boot again a live session without the external drive, i.e.,
    Reboot with external drive unplugged.
    If issues, plug in device and see if shown or error in syslog, contol+c to exit tail listing
    Code:
    lsusb
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/syslog
    Please post the entire resulting messages.

Beans

I've tried the steps you mentioned to give you the log , I started the boot with the ssd disconnected then I used your code and I connected it and disconnected and then connected it back again; this is the log from after i disconnected and reconnected, I can see there are some errors but surely you know a lot more about this (sorry for the poor image quality) https://ibb.co/Ss00mKX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's a bug reported for the device (1de1:1101) -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1878921
    It's not clear if already remedied in 20.10.
    There's a solution for using it as external media in Ubuntu 20.04 according to comments but definitely NOT recommended for installing Ubuntu. I'm afraid this is the end of the road.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is your SSD a new NVMe drive in an external NVMe to USB adapter?

I decided not to do that as speed advantage of NVMe thru USB3 is not seen and extra cost not worth it for external drive.
    I do have an external SSD that was my old internal SSD & it just works.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I see, thanks a lot for the help, this is much more in detail than I could have gone by myself, so thanks everyone for the replies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try Ubuntu 20.10, just in case.

You're welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12