Thread: Xbunto remain stable eve after updating.

Beans

Xbunto remain stable eve after updating.

hi,
    I am using Xubuntu on a laptop. It is quite smooth and working fine. I basically left Windows and switch to Linux. The thing which appeals to me is after updating the system the laptop does not become slow. On the other hand, if we use windows 10 and it's updated then the system becomes too much slow. Technically what is the main reason that Linux machine remains its speed stable where as windows machine become too much slow (after updating).

Beans

Re: Xbunto remain stable eve after updating.

technically? i don't know and i don't care .
    i'm just happy

xubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Maybe Ubuntu is better at removing old software? Maybe Linux filesystems suffer less from fragmentation?

Beans

There's one fundamental difference between updates in Ubuntu and Windows: Ubuntu updates within the same release are bugfixes only. No new features whether wanted or not. And there have been updates (just of the top of my head the mitigation for Spectre and Meltdown) which did impact performance.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, what does Microsoft include in an update? I know every new release of Windows requires ever more powerful hardware. But what technical evidence is there that an update to Windows 10 will noticibly slow down the system? I haven't used Windows since Win98 so I have no experience in the matter. We should be fair in discussing these matters. Does Microsoft use updates to incrementally upgrade to a new release which in turn needs more memory, more powerful CPU and GPU?

Ubuntu will progressively update an LTS release with newer Linux kernels, hardware enablement stack (drivers) and certain applications during the support life of the release. A lot remains unchanged until the version is upgraded to a new release. Then the desktop environment & the user interface gets changed. A long term user of Ubuntu with Gnome will see over time the need to install a flavour of Ubuntu with a less demanding desktop environment & user interface.

If I had not added more RAM and a video card with more onboard memory I would have had to switch from Ubuntu + Gnome to Lubuntu or Xubuntu. It is not updates that slow a Linux system down but an upgrade to a newer release. A lot can change over the support life of an LTS release or two.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks " grahammechanical " for your detailed reply. In short, I may say that if you want an operating system and a new in Linux switch to Ubuntu or Xubuntu. These are stable systems and not hardware hungry l. The main thing is the operating system kernel . Linux has a strong kernel which is why it rocks.