Thread: Ubuntu can't use my AMD graphics card.

Beans

Unhappy Ubuntu can't use my AMD graphics card.

Hello guys,

I'm Icaro and I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 on a Lenovo laptop. There are two GPUs in it, an Intel and AMD one. For some reason, I can't choose the AMD one as my main graphics card and I don't seem to find the drivers for it. When I hit
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    , this is what I get.

*-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: HD Graphics 5500
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 09
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
    resources: irq:51 memory:d0000000-d0ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
    *-display
    description: Display controller
    product: Venus XTX [Radeon HD 8890M / R9 M275X/M375X]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    version: 81

What can I do guys? On Windows I could use that card to play games and stuff and now I can only use the weak Intel one instead....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu can't use my AMD graphics card.

you need to use xrandr and prime.

See here for more information (the final post explains it):
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1038...s-ubuntu-18-04

basically the GPu doesn't switch automatically based on the application you run. You need to tell it manually (add command to launcher) to switch to discrete GPU when you need power. and you use PRIME for that: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thank you so much, Mastablasta. You pointed me to the direction that I needed to take to solve the issue. I tried find something relevant for it but with no avail. The current drivers are kinda slow and underperform the Intel graphics. I'm pretty sure this is a drivers thing. Would I benefit from Oibaf's drivers better than the stock ones?

Beans

I've seen lots of complaints about performance of the AMD GPU in an Intel/AMD hybrid setup. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any solutions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by icarolenine View Post
    Would I benefit from Oibaf's drivers better than the stock ones?
    In short, no -- despite the myth.

For your AMD hardware, there are two drivers available: amdgpu and radeon. Which is used is determined at install time by which supports your hardware. Each is actually a kernel module.

What Oibaf does you can do by adding some already available packages -- leaving YOU in control.

The industry does not support Linux well with regard to hybrid graphics. Depending on how old your laptop is, what typically works best at this point is turning off one or the other in BIOS.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by icarolenine View Post
    The current drivers are kinda slow and underperform the Intel graphics. I'm pretty sure this is a drivers thing. Would I benefit from Oibaf's drivers better than the stock ones?
    adding oibaf won't improve it much if any. it is /was mostly there to support newer hardware. but with 20.04 you already have a lot newer kernel than you chip is.

make sure AMDGPU driver is used when you switch. i ran radeon GPU driver and still do on a laptop. they are slightly worse (5 - 10%?) than on windows, but on the other hand linux takes up a lot less ram, so overall there shouldn't be a major difference. AMDGPU on Ryzen is as good as it is on windows. again linux using up less ram, so many games work well. i never tried a hybrid GPU (intel/AMD or intel/nvidia).

both radeon and AMD have various kernel switches that could be used. they can be used to boost or to degrade performance. depending what you do and how you do it. with dual GPU it makes it a bit harder as you don't immediately know if the switch was actually used on correct chip.

you would use prime command to add it to driver before chip is ran?!? i don't know exactly.

here is some more info on AMDGPU & radeon drivers and their additional libraries (again arch wiki): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

AMDGPU switches: https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm/gpu/amdgpu.html

and there is also Xorg or Weyalnd compositor.

Xorg is old & quite mature, Weyalnd (default in Ubuntu) is new. try Xorg, it might work better on older hardware.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Best community ever! I'll see what I can do. Thanks guys!