Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: According to you which is the most good looking DE available for Linux ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: According to you which is the most good looking DE available for Linux ?

Lubuntu. I think that uses LXDE. Everything is easy to find unlike on the standard desktop, and that Gorilla has to go immediately, from my desktop.

(RPi 4-8GB Ubuntu 64)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    What is that DE called which looks like MAC ?
    I think it's called "Enlightenment."

My favorite is KDE. Love me some Plasma.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Enlightenment has nothing to do with Budgie (or Pantheon)
    Last edited by similar2; February 18th, 2021 at 08:48 AM.
    Enlightenment desktop on Ubuntu: https://github.com/batden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by similar2 View Post
    Enlightenment has nothing to do with Budgie (or Pantheon)
    True... But read his post...

What is that DE called which looks like MAC ?
    And it does look like a Mac.

141212-1.jpg
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Here's another vote for Xubuntu which I've been using since gnome-2 changed to unity, which I did not like nor use, though I did not dislike it as much as I now dislike the gnome desktop currently in Ubuntu.

Here's my desktop with 2 instances of conky and an autohidden extra panel on the left, showing in the screenshot, with all my most often used applications.
    I don't care if it looks like a Mac desktop, or any other platform; it is just my choice and it works better for me than anything else I've tried.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

++xubuntu , obviously ...
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

@everyone who replied
    At the moment I have 2 DEs installed. I installed the Budgie desktop over Lubuntu. If I keep installing other DEs will it by any way mess up my system ?
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If I keep installing other DEs will it by any way mess up my system ?
    Not as such, depending on your definitions.

Each DE will come with its own default settings, and its own set of applications, like file browsers, text editors, and so on. So for each DE that you install you'll get an extra file browser, and an extra text editor, and an extra so on, cluttering up your menus. Some people will find that much more annoying than others would. Also, those default settings may well be using the same config files - particularly if they're, for example, both using the GTK toolkit - so the settings of one will overwrite the settings of a different one. It's also not as easy to remove all the packages pulled in from the installation of a DE as it was to install them: removing the metapackage doesn't remove its dependencies.

It's easier to test out DEs in VMs or live environments rather than installing a bunch willy-nilly, but it's your computer to play with.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I personally don't think there is a BEST desktop; all have advantages & disadvantages (when compared with others).

I'm nearly always using LXQt/Lubuntu on this box (but I'm a Lubuntu team member, so it's probably expected). It does work for me though !

My Lubuntu/LXQt desktop though was modelled on my prior XFCE/Xubuntu desktop (which is still installed, I need only logout & I can switch back to XFCE/Xubuntu; I don't do that often though; Xubuntu I still love).

GNOME/Ubuntu isn't my cup-of-tea (not since GNOME2 days anyway), yet I have that installed on this box as well. It feels different; which is why I think I've kept it.

This box also had MATE/Ubuntu-MATE installed as well; but as I used that the least I removed that. I really wanted KDE/Kubuntu installed as well; but I couldn't get all five to place nice so gave up on that idea.

If this was a debian box though, I'd likely have other DEsktops installed (in my experience I can bloat Debian more before issues take away the enjoyment)

I'm very accustomed to having multiple desktops on all my (non-test) systems, and don't expect problems with 2 or even 3 installed, but after that problems start to appear (for the initial four (ubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu, ubuntu-mate) on this box; I did multiple installs before I worked out the order that had best results and gave up on getting the five i wanted; ie. kubuntu too).

Also don't read that I left out Kubuntu as it was a problem, I could have had Kubuntu installed & left out ubuntu-mate if I wanted, but at the time all the others were GTK+, so it made more sense for me to drop off Kubuntu when I constructed this box... Lubuntu hadn't switched from LXDE/GTK2 to LXQt/Qt5 back then.. and I wasn't involved with Lubuntu.

My installed desktops probably give my preferences, and I spent a couple of weeks playing with my system before I finally wiped & then re-installed this system (originally 4 desktops, now only 3). For "best looking" it won't be mine...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12