Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copy home to new computer

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

copy home to new computer

I always use the same name and passwords for my new machines. So I try to use grsync to move /home/myname to a new computer and I get boot error on missing uuid Why would uuid be needed for home? I thought that was in etc. Is there a way to move home and add an exception for the files that would cause this issue? Everything else works OK

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: copy home to new computer

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I always use the same name and passwords for my new machines. So I try to use grsync to move /home/myname to a new computer and I get boot error on missing uuid Why would uuid be needed for home? I thought that was in etc. Is there a way to move home and add an exception for the files that would cause this issue? Everything else works OK
    More details please. Like the exact command used (can't grsync dump the rsync command?) and the partition setup? Did you unplug a drive?

Beans
    Distro

I have a separate home and use the setup in the screenshots for grsync. Thank you.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a separate home and use the setup in the screenshots for grsync. Thank you.
    I'd rather not be a dentist digging for clear information. Is that the source or the target? A df -Th would be better, BTW. Please remove the junk lines that aren't real file systems when posting.

I don't know grsync. Doesn't it show the rsync command somehow? I find the GUI confusing.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 14th, 2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag.

Beans
    Distro

I am sorry that wasn't clear enough. Those partitons are from when I had a dual boot and I was told that I couldn't remove them without messing up the whole works. So everything is in a extended partition. The 2MB is just the UEFI allotted partiton. So the 2 real partitions are /ext4 39 GB for everything except the /home of 891GB. The unallocated things I couldn't get rid of. grsync is the graphical front end for rsync and I use it because I am comfortable with it and it doen't seem as scary as grsync. It works very well and fast. I just need to find out where in the /home partition there is a file that states a specific UUID so I can put an option to exclude that file or directory. Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You shouldn't need "run as superuser" checked just to copy your home directory. UUIDs are hexadecimal keys associated with partitions. A file copy operation should not mess with them EXCEPT if you somehow managed to copy into / or /etc and overwrote your fstab file. If you weren't running as superuser, you couldn't accidentally do that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

additionally you probably need to copy files, not partition. if you copied partition then new system needs to know where it is, so it is asking for it's UUID.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am sorry that wasn't clear enough. Those partitons are from when I had a dual boot and I was told that I couldn't remove them without messing up the whole works. So everything is in a extended partition. The 2MB is just the UEFI allotted partiton. So the 2 real partitions are /ext4 39 GB for everything except the /home of 891GB. The unallocated things I couldn't get rid of. grsync is the graphical front end for rsync and I use it because I am comfortable with it and it doen't seem as scary as grsync. It works very well and fast. I just need to find out where in the /home partition there is a file that states a specific UUID so I can put an option to exclude that file or directory. Thank you
    So no df -Th will be provided as requested?
    BTW, the grsync doesn't actually show any source/target stuff - or I'm I just dense? GUIs are so confusing. Plus, they lie. Give me a shell and a program with options any day. Much clearer.

For people who find that confusing, there is explainshell.com. It uses manpages to fill in what each option for a command means.

Beans
    Distro

OK thanks. The reason I run it as superuser is otherwise there is always an error usually referring to the .gvfs directory which is root even in /home

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

.gvfs is a fake mount for temporary storage. We never want to backup that. Just one reason why mouting additional storage under a HOME is almost always a bad choice.

There shouldn't be any files/directories owned by other userids, even root, in a HOME for another user. There
    are exceptions, but I doubt more than 1,000 people worldwide would use that. I needed it once, 20 yrs ago, for a few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast