Thread: CIFS: Can't create file because exists, cannot see/delete it because it doesn't

Beans

CIFS: Can't create file because exists, cannot see/delete it because it doesn't

Hi all,

Feels funny to be back here. Been mostly lurking for the last ~15 years and judging by my SSO username it seems like at some point my old one got lost...
    I'm having some trouble with a server that seems to be lying to me. Or rather I think it is confused.
    In a nutshell, this is my problem:

Code:
    root@muchmuch ~ # cd ~syncthinger/.config
    root@muchmuch /home/syncthinger/.config # ls -a
    .  ..
    root@muchmuch /home/syncthinger/.config # mkdir syncthing
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘syncthing’: File exists
    root@muchmuch /home/syncthinger/.config # rm -r syncthing
    rm: cannot remove 'syncthing': No such file or directory
    For context:
    I've been running this Ubuntu VPS for a few years now, and it started out with 16.04.
    Yesterday I dragged it to 18.04, then 20.04, and overall the upgrades went butter smooth.1
    This VPS mounts a CIFS drive to extend the storage for my syncthing install, and it is this network drive that I seem to be having trouble with.

Syncthing has (had? I can't find the docs I went with at the time...) a bit of a special requirement that the database/indexes can't live on a network drive. I only found that out when the local storage ran out, and I had started all my shares in the ~syncthinger folder.
    The data can live on CIFS without problem though. So my solution was to keep the contents of ~syncthinger/.config/syncthing on the local drive (it's small anyhow) and bind-mount them into their expected location.
    Now I cannot bind-mount this anymore, because the folder doesn't exist, but I also cannot create it because it does exist. Kind of a Schroedinger's folder type of situation.

Things I've tried:

1. Reboot (multiple times for the upgrades, and a few times after that)
    2. Nuke the whole .config folder via rm -rf. Didn't work, folder can't be removed because it isn't considered empty.
    3. Enable the CIFS debugging via
    Code:
    echo 3 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI
    and watched with dmesg -w as I tried to do the steps shown above, but the output really just reflects what the commands already say:

Code:
    [34344.005454] Status code returned 0xc0000034 STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
    [34344.009907] Status code returned 0xc0000035 STATUS_OBJECT
    4. One thing that may be important: two prefixes of this CIFS are mounted in two different places, to serve different storage needs:

Code:
    root@muchmuch ~ # mount | grep cifs
    //cifs-box/backup/camera  on /mnt/backup/camera type cifs  (rw,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=strict,username=<username>,uid=1004,forceuid,gid=1003,forcegid,addr=<ipv6-addr>,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)
    //cifs-box/backup/syncthinger_home  on /home/syncthinger type cifs  (rw,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=none,username=<username>,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=1000,forcegid,addr=<ipv6-addr>,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)
    I have unmounted the other mount for the time being to see if that helps. It doesn't.

So now I'm wondering if this is an issue with my cifs config, or what I can do about this. The CIFS host is a paid-for service (hetzner hosting) that I can't administer, so debugging server-side would mean talking to them. Before I do that I'd just want to make sure it's not a problem on my side (which... I find much much more probable, given that I don't make my money setting up cifs, and they do )

Are there any further debugging steps I could take? Google et al. have been supremely un-useful here, all results seem to be related to not being able to delete a file that does exist...
    Also, if there is a simple way to make this work more cleanly, avoiding the whole bind-mount stuff and such, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading all my rambling, stay safe everyone

1The only hiccup was this bug which was annoying because I wanted to go to bed, but not so bad.

Beans

Re: CIFS: Can't create file because exists, cannot see/delete it because it doesn't

Thread moved to the "Server Platforms" forum for a better fit.

Beans

Re: CIFS: Can't create file because exists, cannot see/delete it because it doesn't

Damn, thanks @howefield. Seems I deserve that newbie userid after all

Found the thread where I got the info that CIFS is a no-no for the syncthing db; https://forum.syncthing.net/t/solved...-running/12715
    Not sure it's still current state of affairs though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I know you are root but I still have to wonder if this is a permission issue. Check the permissions on the folder(s) you are in:

Code:
    ls -la /home
    ls -la /home/syncthinger
    ls -la /home/syncthinger/.config
    Try making any other folder/file under the .config folder and parent folder:

Code:
    mkdir /home/syncthinger/testme1
    mkdir /home/syncthinger/.config/testme2
    LHammonds

Beans

Thanks for reading. I also thought about permissions issues, mostly because that's what google spits out (and I have encountered before) for the inverse case of not being able to modify files that do exist.

Code:
    # ls -la /home
    total 52
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root        root        4096 Sep 10  2019 .
    drwxr-xr-x 22 root        root        4096 Feb 13 01:06 ..
    [...]
    drwxrwx---  2 syncthinger syncthinger    0 Feb 13 09:56 syncthinger
    drwx------  3 syncthinger syncthinger 4096 Feb 13 09:55 syncthinger_syncthingconfig
    [...]

# ls -la /home/syncthinger
    total 71
    drwxrwx---  2 syncthinger syncthinger    0 Feb 15 08:26 .
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root        root        4096 Sep 10  2019 ..
    [...]
    drwxrwx---  2 syncthinger syncthinger    0 Feb 15 08:26 .config
    [...]

# ls -la /home/syncthinger/.config
    total 0
    drwxrwx--- 2 syncthinger syncthinger 0 Feb 13 10:13 .
    drwxrwx--- 2 syncthinger syncthinger 0 Feb 13 09:56 ..
    Both the mkdir commands execute just fine. It really seems to be that one folder that's "burned".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It is all owned by the user syncthinger and group syncthinger. Switch into that user and see if you still have issues modifying the file.

Code:
    su syncthinger
    LHammonds

Beans

I mean... I was root already. And evidently I tried that before. But I just tried again, and computer still says no...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The only other thing I can think of is that some process has a lock on it or thinks it has a lock.

In those scenarios (even on Windows) you could rename the file/folder, reboot and then you can remove the renamed file/folder. But that does not address the initial problem of "something" holding onto it...but it does help identify the problem.

Due to power problems I cannot access my work computers to try various commands to help you. Having trouble even staying connected to post this reply. lol

LHammonds

Beans

I think I may have seen something similar when there was confusion about the spelling of a filename - upper/lower case. E.g. on a filesystem that confuses upper and lower case letters, file "foo" may exist, and therefore prevent you creating "Foo" because it already exists. But you can't delete "Foo" because it doesn't exist (only "foo" does). I sometimes wonder if Windows thinks "ΝΗΩΔ" and "νηωδ"are the same filename.