Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

I posted this on another forum but I am interested to know what my friends here has to say about the topic. I purchased my first microwave oven in 2018. For 2 years I didn't cook a single recipe. I just used it for reheating. Yesterday after watching some Youtube videos I cooked 2 dishes. I cooked Maggi & omelette. My next dish will egg pouch.
    Purchasing a SOLO microwave was a mistake. I chose a SOLO model coz my plan was to reheat food only.

Are you using a Microwave oven ? Which model ? Other than reheating what recipes do you cook using your microwave ?

This is my microwave >> https://www.flipkart.com/electrolux-20-l-solo-microwave-oven/p/itmdx255gt2mhfhd

Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only. Actually, one we use solely to entertain ourselves by bringing in eggs from the hen house and watching them explode. Drives the dogs nuts!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

[QIII posted]
    We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only.

Yep we only use ours for reheating food we've cooked on the stove or in the oven or outside on the grill and they're great for doing that.

I know people who live on microwave food Blah.

We also find the crockpot really useful for cooking all kinds of stuff and it's convenient for those who are to busy to cook or don't want to cook.

[QIII posted]
    Actually, one we use solely to entertain ourselves by bringing in eggs from the hen house and watching them explode. Drives the dogs nuts!

That's hilarious.

A waste of good fresh eggs imo.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only. Actually, one we use solely to entertain ourselves by bringing in eggs from the hen house and watching them explode. Drives the dogs nuts!
    I am just the opposite. In future when I have my own separate kitchen I wont install any gas oven at all. I will buy a more feature rich microwave (solo/grill/convection) & all my cooking will be done using the microwave.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only.
    I know people who live on microwave food Blah.
    I am going to join that club very soon.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

I always thought a microwave was a microwave and didn't know there was any difference "microwave (solo/grill/convection)".

I hope the Wife doesn't discover these microwaves we don't need anymore cooking appliances in our kitchen taking up countertop real estate.

I kinda see why you want to go that route if space and time is limited and you can cook healthy meals in them instead of all of that processed packaged food.

I going to research them as a replacement and what all type of food can be cooked in them if our existing microwave decides to stop working.

Again always learning something I didn't know on Ubuntu Forums.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

@poorguy
    This is just to make your research easy. Read this >>>http://www.zelect.in/microwave-oven/types
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

Cool Thanks.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

After doing some research I really don't need to buy a combo convection / microwave.

Went into my kitchen where one of these is setting on the counter and it can cook some of the same types of food that a countertop convection / microwave will cook so I don't really need to buy anything.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/a...r_ovens/toa-60

I just thought it was a big toaster oven.

OH well still learned something I didn't know about what I already have.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My parents had a microwave very early - 1970s.
    Post University, I bought a bed and a microwave, then moved to my first job and bought clothes for work.
    We still own that microwave. It has a rotating platter, so foods heat more evenly. The rotation matters. This house came with a built-in, over-the-stove microwave that barely gets used. It is a little higher power, but doesn't cook evenly. It is also smaller.

The microwave is mostly for reheating. We "cook" a few times a week, usually in large batches (6-10 servings) that can be reheated later.

I cook shrimp, popcorn, and plain pasta in the microwave. They are crazy easy. Tried eggs, but found that to be way too much mess and they didn't taste right.

Uncooked shrimp is 1 minute with a little flavored oil or butter + seasoning. But frying shrimp on the stove is pretty easy too. I need to master shrimp gumbo still.

Microwave popcorn using a micro-wave bowl is amazing - buy one if you like popcorn. The cheapest bulk popcorn you can buy is fine. Then add whatever fats/toppings you like - oil, butter, cheese, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, whatever. We've been adding powered cheddar cheese recently. Fantastic! A few times every week, we'll make some for a movie night here.

Plain pasta is really easy with a predictable finished time that doesn't need to be watched. Just started doing it this way. Much easier and more predictable than boiling water on the stove.

I can't imagine NOT having a gas stove. When a winter storm comes through and knocks out power for 3+ weeks, the gas still works for heat and cooking. That's the difference between having to move out and pay for 30 days in a hotel and staying at home. If you live somewhere with milder winters or a whole-house generator, perhaps this isn't so important. One of my sisters lives where they have hurricanes. They have a whole-house generator after dealing with a few CAT-4/5 storms that knocked out power for 6 weeks. The generator uses natural gas for fuel. In my life, I've never known gas pipes to fail. If I lived far from the grid, I'd have at least a 500 gallon propane tank for power needs, if solar, wind, and battery banks didn't provide enough power for a cloudy 7-day period in winter. Something like this:
    http://www.missiongas.com/images/500...ropanetank.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast