Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

I've now gone about a year and a half without a microwave oven, after mine died. I was gonna go right out and replace it, then didn't get around to it, then started noticing that I didn't really miss it. I'm eating a lot healthier now, that's for sure! It would be nice to have one to heat certain things up, but I think I'll stick with going without.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    …Microwave popcorn using a micro-wave bowl is amazing - buy one if you like popcorn. The cheapest bulk popcorn you can buy is fine. Then add whatever fats/toppings you like - oil, butter, cheese, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, whatever. We've been adding powered cheddar cheese recently. Fantastic! A few times every week, we'll make some for a movie night here…

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    A waste of good fresh eggs imo.
    We'd never actually do that, of course! What eggs we don't eat (and that is a lot!) we give away. It costs us very little to keep a lot of chickens, which we free range. We get more eggs than we could possibly eat and others can make use of them.

I had forgotten about popcorn. The microwave is ideal for that.

Natural gas to the range and the standby generator. We have a deep well for our water and our toilets are all fancy built-in bidet contraptions with electric pumps, so we can't do without electricity. We may be country bumpkins out on our farm but we are not savages!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    We'd never actually do that, of course! What eggs we don't eat (and that is a lot!) we give away. It costs us very little to keep a lot of chickens, which we free range. We get more eggs than we could possibly eat and others can make use of them.
    That's great that you give away the extra eggs.

We know a lady that sells eggs and we get several dozen at a time because we love eggs we also get homemade butter that she makes.

I had forgotten about popcorn. The microwave is ideal for that.
    We make popcorn using a big old cast iron skillet with a Pyrex lid like we did when we were kids and I still love watching the sparks from sliding the skillet across the stove grates.

Natural gas to the range and the standby generator. We have a deep well for our water and our toilets are all fancy built-in bidet contraptions with electric pumps, so we can't do without electricity. We may be country bumpkins out on our farm but we are not savages!
    I spent many a summer as a country bumpkin on my uncle's farm as a kid and learned all kinds of neat things about farming although being a kid at the time really didn't appreciate being there however as an adult I realized how fortunate I was to have spent the summers on the farm.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm a reheater too. Kind of a waste I guess, as the microwave oven can do a lot more than reheating.
    Last edited by t0p; February 13th, 2021 at 03:43 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Do you have any recipes?
    I started to use my microwave for cooking just a few days back. For the last two years I used it for reheating only.
    What I am doing is as the first step I decide what I want to cook & then go to Youtube & search like this "<name of food> in micorwave".

For example :
    Code:
     maggi in microwave
    Your new (edited) post

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    I'm a reheater too. Kind of a waste I guess, as the microwave oven can do a lot more than reheating.
    I was doing the same thing for a little over two years.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; February 13th, 2021 at 03:55 PM.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Add me to the reheat and popcorn list.
    Your files aren't in the cloud, they're just on someone else's computer.
    --Dave

Beans

I already cooked omelet in the microwave, but surely it doesn't count as a recipe (one ingredient).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have one in the house, it was built into the cabinets above the stove when I moved in. In my previous place I also had one. I don't cook much of anything in it. It's mostly just an overpriced clock with defrosting capability in my world. On occasion if I forgot to put water in the kettle for making broth (boullion based) the I'll use it to nuke some water to near boiling real fast. I know they say some stuff can be good, but between my wife and I we both are firm believers in stovetop / oven cooking wherever possible. I also make extensive use of my pressure cooker.

Beans

Popcorn and reheating. I prefer my grill, crock pot, and dutch oven for cooking.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast