Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Create a Full Install USB of Windows 10?

Beans

Create a Full Install USB of Windows 10?

Hey,

So I have just successfully created a full install USB of Ubuntu using mkusb software.

Now is it possible to do the same with Windows 10?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Create a Full Install USB of Windows 10?

If a full Windows 10 installation has been imaged to a file that then is used the same way you just did then yes, it's possible. The licensing aspect of it is an entirely different issue though. A OEM licensed Windows can only be used in the same machine it was bundled with, it makes no difference whether it is a image recovery or a new installation; a retails license OTOH can be used in a different machine provided that only one machine is using the same license at the same time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was able to obtain officially both a Windows 8 and a Windows 10 preview ISO image. I never got around to installing the Windows 10 edition but If I remember correctly with Windows 8 we first need a Windows type partition. We use Windows in a live session to create that.

In the past Windows had to be the first OS on the drive. I guess that might still be the standard procedure. If we have two drives then disconnect the Ubuntu drive. It will prevent the Windows installer from messing up the Ubuntu boot menu.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

If you want to put the windows install iso on a usb, there are a number of sites which explain it such as the 2 links below:

https://itsfoss.com/bootable-windows-usb-linux/

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/eas...ble-usb-ubuntu

Beans

Think you can only make a bootable Windows USB from Linux with either mkusb or woeusb, do not think any other ways will work for windows. If computer came with Win 10, can replace with same version. Can also goolge for getting Win 10 for legally for free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Do you want to create a USB that will run the Windows 10 operating system from USB?
    Or do you want to create a USB that can be used to install Windows to an internal drive?

If you want to run Windows from USB you will need to create a Windows-to-Go drive.

The only way I know to do this from within Linux is to clone an existing Windows-to-Go drive.

From within Windows a WTG drive can be created using either Rufus or Universal USB Installer.

See attached picture for settings, Use Partition Scheme to select BIOS or UEFI install mode.

If you want to create a USB from inside Linux, that can be used to install Windows to an internal drive, you can boot the Windows ISO's contents using GRUB2, or make an installer USB using mkusb-plug, mkusb-dus, Ventoy or woeusb. I have not managed to get WoeUSB working for a few years now.

For the first time user I would recommend mkusb-plug. It has a number of fail-safes to prevent making any errors.

mkusb-plug comes bundled in the mkusb suite, which you already have.

Edit: I should mention that the WTG creation process can be very slow, plan on it running overnight. The Target USB type can also make a big difference in how fast Windows will operate. I think it should run okay on an SSD.

I have managed to create a dual boot USB flash drive making a Full install of Ubuntu after installing Windows-to-Go. Ubuntu's GRUB will boot WTG as long as Ubuntu and WTG are installed in the same BIOS/UEFI mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; February 12th, 2021 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

It's possible to build up Microsoft operation system booting from USB . But run slowly. Suggest you use USB 3.0 or up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chrischang2021 View Post
    It's possible to build up Microsoft operation system booting from USB .
    No, it isn't, unless using the Windows-to-Go feature. Not available for Home edition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    No, it isn't, unless using the Windows-to-Go feature. Not available for Home edition.
    WTG works with Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education versions.

Beans

Okay guys, I have many questions now.

@CelticWarrior

Yes, this computer comes with an OEM license of Windows 10 Pro, and I plan to try and run some Windows version completely from USB on this very computer.

How do I create an image of Windows? Can I use Microsoft's backup tool to create such image to be used with Rufus?

In other words, do I need to create an image of my working Windows 10 Pro or download an image of Windows somewhere?

@C.S.Cameron

Yes, I want to run Windows completely from USB.

I didn't know about "Windows To Go" existence, I still don't know what it is exactly.

Upon quick search on Google I read it only supports Windows versions 8.1, 8.1 Enterprise, 10 Education and 10 Enterprise.

I have an OEM license of Windows 10 Pro with this computer, so I don't think it will work?

Also I've found an article that says this procedure only works with "Windows To Go Certified USB stick". True? (https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/create...ing-windows-10)

My main goal is to run Windows 10 Pro off of USB for testing purposes (avoid having to format Windows because of viruses and reduce wear-level on my primary M.2. SSD), meaning I'd also want to install some games on it eventually, if possible. Can Windows 10 Enterprise install games too? I hope it's not very different from Windows 10 Pro which I am more familiar with. I don't expect Windows To Go to have excellent performance, just be able to install applications and see if they are working or not - if it is virus or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast