Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running SMART test on failing drive made it not failing anymore??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Running SMART test on failing drive made it not failing anymore??

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    I don't currently have another system to test with, and that KB entry supports TheFu's assessment: there's no way the disk could have been powered down 34,359,738,394 times during its lifetime. Even if it's only the SMART reporting that's messed up, it seems I shouldn't be comfortable continuing to use this disk.
    I wouldn't trust it - even if I only had cat videos on it.
    Not sure I'd even put it into a system to be sold to a random person on the street. I'd buy a cheap $30 SSD for that with no brand, no published endurance specs, perhaps even used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Running SMART test on failing drive made it not failing anymore??

Re the very high number of unload errors, is this still increasing or has it stabilised? Like you said this is an impossible number. If still increasing then try disconnecting and reconnecting both ends of the cables. Try replacing the cables and then try connecting to a different power connector and a different connector on the mother board if there's one free. see if you can get ti to stabilise. As someone has already said, running an intensive test can cause bad blocks to be flagged as unusable and the problem to go away. This has been true ever since the early days of PCs. The MSDOS chkdsk utility was really good at this and the disc would work fine afterwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12