Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Run Linux off of USB hard disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Run Linux off of USB hard disk?

This image should boot on any computer that a Live Ubuntu USB will boot from.
    No proprietary drivers have been added.
    It has been tested on a variety of computers, so far so good.
    It would need to be modified if you want to use it for installing Ubuntu.
    I can supply instructions for that also.
    Let us know how it works for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Oops! double post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    This image should boot on any computer that a Live Ubuntu USB will boot from.
    No proprietary drivers have been added.
    It has been tested on a variety of computers, so far so good.
    It would need to be modified if you want to use it for installing Ubuntu.
    I can supply instructions for that also.
    Let us know how it works for you.
    Thanks Cameron. I think I'm finally starting to understand how it all works: Full Install USB Vs. Persistence Install USB (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1227...-different-pcs).

Just could not understand what you said here: "it [the image] would need to be modified if you want to use it for installing Ubuntu".

From the last link you posted containing a tutorial (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1300...-bios-and-uefi), the first reply reads as follows: "Install Ubuntu from a Pre-built Image File". Doesn't that mean it's already a Ubuntu image?

I would like to try a full installment of Ubuntu on a USB flash drive first, as I never tried this procedure before.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by username2758 View Post
    Just could not understand what you said here: "it [the image] would need to be modified if you want to use it for installing Ubuntu".
    Many people use Live USB's to install Ubuntu. A Full install needs to be modified to install Ubuntu. For instance if you want to install Ubuntu on a friend's computer using the SSD. This is probably off topic for this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

From the last link you posted containing a tutorial (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1300...-bios-and-uefi), the first reply reads as follows: "Install Ubuntu from a Pre-built Image File". Doesn't that mean it's already a Ubuntu image?
    https://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/...0-06-26.img.xz Will download the image file, you can use Rufus, Etcher, mkusb, etc to flash it to SSD or USB.

I would like to try a full installment of Ubuntu on a USB flash drive first, as I never tried this procedure before.
    Good idea, Install should only take about half an hour. Minimum flash drive capacity is 16GB.

OS will run faster on SSD than on USB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    https://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/...0-06-26.img.xz

Will download the image file, you can use Rufus, Etcher, mkusb, etc to flash it to SSD or USB.
    Thanks again!

So just to make sure: If I follow this tutorial I will be making a full install of Ubuntu on a USB disk, not a persistent install. Correct?

Only asking because I saw a "Persistent live" option in mkusb, but no "Full install" option.

I have a spare 120GB SSD for this procedure.
    Last edited by username2758; February 11th, 2021 at 01:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The option should be "cloning" in this case. The ISO is already an image of a full installation.
    MKUSB's persistent live option takes a compatible live (and installation) Linux ISO, unpacks it and writes to the target alongside with a writable file system, the "persistent" side of the equation.

If you're using a 120GB SSD then you want to boot a live session after "burning" it and use GParted to extend the root partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes as CelticWarrior says, just select option "c" Cloning iso file... for flashing the image to disk using mkusb.

I will clarify the linked Ask Ubuntu answer.

Beans

Thank you both! I will give it a try later today.

Out of curiosity, if I flash the proper modified .ISO using Startup Disk Creator from Ubuntu it won't work the same?

As it is not a Persistent Install but a Full Install on USB, do I really need mkusb or Rufus for this procedure to work?

Beans

Hey it's me again!

Just trying this out and came up with a doubt...

Have already downloaded the modified .ISO and installed mkusb:

Now after selecting option "Cloning iso file" and browsing for the downloaded modified image, mkusb asks me this:

What is it? Can I proceed? I didn't need to decompress or extract anything after downloading the modified .ISO.

I'm sure the target device is correct (/dev/sdb). It is a USB SSD drive!
    Last edited by username2758; February 11th, 2021 at 07:57 PM.

Beans

You need to install to a partition. sdb is a drive. sdb1 is a partition. Did you make the necessary partitions on the drive?
    Edit: You can ignore this comment. It's not related.
    Last edited by Dennis N; February 11th, 2021 at 08:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast