Thread: ubuntu on macbook pro 2019 (Big Sur)

Beans

ubuntu on macbook pro 2019 (Big Sur)

hi,

For a schoolproject I need to install Linux as e dual boot on my Laptop, I've gone trough most of the steps online to install in on my mac. I've created partitions, avoided the T2 security chip and made an external boot drive. When I select the external disk to start my Laptop, It doesn't give me the option to just try Ubuntu or Install it, it immediatly starts up Ubuntu. The next step should be to double click the "install ubuntu" icon on the desktop. But when I try this nothing happens. So I'm able to run linux on my mac with an external start up disk but I can't install it. Can someone help me to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: ubuntu on macbook pro 2019 (Big Sur)

Thread moved to the "Apple Hardware Users" forum.

Beans

I would run check files just to make sure, I guess you might already have. Sometimes it helps just rebooting the iso to a new live session then retry the installer. You use a usb connected disk drive? I have used USB flash memory sticks and DVDs, but in theory it should not matter as long as you get the iso on a storage unit and it boots. There is a few of us running linux distros like Ubuntu and Debian on macbooks and it should be fine. I don`t think your installer problem is a particular mac issue, more of a general thing. I can suggest the freenode irc support, with a bit of patient you get direct help there. Search for the Ubuntu channel. I used the installer on 20.10 Groovy Gorilla problem free (with slight booting issues after install that was sorted out).

Beans

This link: https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-l...mac-os-4125733
    suggests there might be problems with the 2019 and later Macs for this, and suggests and external drive. I've tried that though and run into other problems. I'm trying it on an external drive that connects with USB c. That connection may have problems of its own, as the install almost but not quite ever works.