Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want firmware updates for at least 10 years.....Which router should I buy ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: I want firmware updates for at least 10 years.....Which router should I buy ?

I have made my desicion. I am going to assemble a new desktop myself for this purpose. I will pay the extra electricity bill.
    I am going to use OPNsense. OPNsense was suggested to me by TheFU on a different thread of mine.

@TheFU
    One last question. I want to know for how long is a release of OPNsense supported ? How many years ?
    I tried Google & found the WIKI but I cant find that particular information.
    If its supported for at least 5 years like Ubuntu LTS I will be more than happy.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I want firmware updates for at least 10 years.....Which router should I buy ?

OPNsense is a fork of pfSense. It is actively developed. If you are on x86-64 hardware, then you won't lose support. Moving from release to release isn't hard. It is a F/LOSS project, so there isn't any guaranteed support period, just a target. https://opnsense.org/about/road-map/ says they try to have 2 releases a year. It also shows their release history going back to 2015.

If you need 100% certainty, using F/LOSS isn't what you want.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    OPNsense is a fork of pfSense. It is actively developed. If you are on x86-64 hardware, then you won't lose support. Moving from release to release isn't hard.
    That's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If you need 100% certainty, using F/LOSS isn't what you want.
    I always prefer open source software. I don't even use closed source web browsers like Google Chrome or Opera. Using a proprietary firewall solution is absolutely unacceptable.

This thread is Solved.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just posted: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...-security.html
    Plenty of warnings about Linux-based routers using very old kernels that have over 233, old, known, attack problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd consider pfsense of opnsense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12