Thread: Help with new Z490 build

Beans

Help with new Z490 build

My current build was built in 2016. So it is time to upgrade. I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H. It is an atx mobo and has 8 sata ports. I need the 8 sata ports in my new build as well. To date, I have only found e-atx mobos with 8 sata ports. I have no problem going with one of those, but I also need a case that will allow me to have the sata devices I need. They are 2 Blu Ray DVD writers and 5 hard drives. That would allow me to have one sata M.2 drive.

I am looking at a Thermaltake Core X71 case. Finally, I am running Ubuntu18.04.5 at the moment. I would assume I may need to upgrade to 20.04. I would like to stay with intel.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what mobos might be working with 20.04? I have seen trhe Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme and the ASRock Z490 AQUA that are e-atx and have 8 sata ports with a ton of USB ports (which I need).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Help with new Z490 build

bump

Beans

I have completed the build. Things are working well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post details and any info on settings you may have had to make.
    Then others can find thread and it will help them.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

On initial boot, I entered BIOS and was not able to select a boot drive (no drives appeared.)
    I then rebooted and invoked Boot options, but it showed no drives from which to choose.
    Finally, I rebooted once more, invoked Boot options, drives were shown, I chose my boot drive, and everything worked.
    Since then, no problems, but I have to invoke Boot options.
    I am going to try a straight boot to see what happens (if the system will remember my boot drive.)
    I will report on that result at next reboot.
    Last edited by cscj01; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:28 AM.