Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIDI Software Synthesis

Beans

MIDI Software Synthesis

The thread is for questions about the MIDI Software Synthesis HOWTO

Beans

Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

Ask questions here, and the answers will be gradually incorporated into the Wiki page.

Beans

the HOWTO is very clear if you want to use a software synthesis, but I want to use my Sound Blaster Live! hardware synthetizer. what MIDI player should I use? I've tried with other distros and It never runs. I think its beacuse I must load the soundfonts, How can I do it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanchico
    the HOWTO is very clear if you want to use a software synthesis, but I want to use my Sound Blaster Live! hardware synthetizer. what MIDI player should I use? I've tried with other distros and It never runs. I think its beacuse I must load the soundfonts, How can I do it?
    Regarding playing MIDI on Sound Blaster Live! and Audigy series, I have written a how-to for Mandriva distro before, recently I have tested it with Sarge but there's something need to be tweaked to make it work. I am installing Ubuntu tonight so I will find out how it goes and once I get it working I will post my feedback here.

Note: A guide for SB Live! hardware synthesizer can be found in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30963

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I hope you read this.

I'm having the strangest bug. I've configured timidity correctly in Hoary, along with Scummvm (using alsa and timidity's midi server on port 128:0). Yesterday, I upgraded to Breezy. Now, when I launch a midi game in scummvm, I cant hear the music, only the voices. If I create a new timidity client, and make scummvm use it (129:0), it all works correctly.

I really hope you can help me

Beans

I installed Timidity and the freepats and the manual says that only with that installed I should be able to hear some midi file, but I don't. What's the problem?
    (Running on a AMD 3400+, 256MB Ram)
    Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrincon87
    I installed Timidity and the freepats and the manual says that only with that installed I should be able to hear some midi file, but I don't. What's the problem?
    (Running on a AMD 3400+, 256MB Ram)
    Thanks.
    It's difficult to say, without more information. Does normal (ALSA) sound play? (Set XMMS to ALSA output and try to play an mp3.) Are you sure the MIDI file you're using is valid? Do you get any errors or any output at all when you run 'timidity [file.mid]'?

Beans

It's difficult to say, without more information. Does normal (ALSA) sound play? (Set XMMS to ALSA output and try to play an mp3.) Are you sure the MIDI file you're using is valid? Do you get any errors or any output at all when you run 'timidity [file.mid]'?
    I normally play all my files in XMMS with the ALSA output. When I run the midi files I don't get any error, it simply doesn't sound. This is a terminal output when I run timidity:
    Playing 2600mts.MID
    MIDI file: 2600mts.MID
    Format: 1 Tracks: 3 Divisions: 1024
    Track name: Acoustic Grand Piano
    Track name: Instrument2

Yet I don't hear anything.

Beans

You could try some different midi files. Other than that, I've no idea I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else can help?

Beans

I'm achieving terrible performance with timidity.

Even after disabling all the settings in the cfg file, timidity still uses most of my cpu.(Ath XP 1800.) Why is this? I remember running a midi sequencer under a 486.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast