Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Beans

Re: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Quote Originally Posted by raid517
    Hi, I have got this pretty much working now. But one thing I don't get is how do I make desktop icons of the applications I install? Say for example I wanted to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine (and I really do want to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine) would I have to run it all the time as su or could I run it as an ordinary user?

I tried installing kaffeine the way that is set out above - but it failed miserably,

GJ
    What I've been doing for that is making my own launchers manually. I've yet to come up with anything automatic for that... For example, I had 64-bit OOo installed, but it had lots of problems, so I installed it in the chroot. Then I went through linked the files to stuff like oowriter32. I then modified the launchers for OOo to point to the 32 bit ones and now I have the icons. That won't work in every scenario and is a bit of a pain... but hey we are bleeding edge now aren't we?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips
    Crad,

Thanks for the idiot proof guide, makes life easy for us noobs.

Where to from here ?

thanks
    mips
    Was thinking of making a Wiki entry, and also it looks like figuring out some sort fo bridge to the menus on the 32 bit side would be good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by capriciousmind
    Thanks for the guide. One question though, I installed firestarter 32 bit using the method described and everything is good until I try to start it. It says my kernel does not support ip tables does anyone know why it would say that?
    I can't think of a reason why the chroot wouldn't see iptables if the kernel supported them. Have you inserted the module?

gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo modprobe ip_tables
    gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raid517
    I'm realy not trying to be sarcastic, but maybe it really is because your kernel doesn't support IP tables?

Perhaps you should add them?

GJ
    That is what I thought at first too, but I checked synaptic and sure enough they were installed.

Can you compile firestarter from source to use in 64 bit?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crad
    I can't think of a reason why the chroot wouldn't see iptables if the kernel supported them. Have you inserted the module?

gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo modprobe ip_tables
    gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    Would I need to do this if synaptic shows the ip table package is installed ?

Beans

Yes, though you can just try "sudo iptables -L" to see if it's already inserted. (That's the only reason why I issued that command after the modprobe).

Beans

Yes, though you can just try "sudo iptables -L" to see if it's already inserted. (That's the only reason why I issued that command after the modprobe).
    ok thanks, I should have thought of this earlier but can firestarter be installed from source in 64 bit? Then I wouldnt have to go through this, and it would make more since its my base system.
    Last edited by capriciousmind; April 12th, 2005 at 06:26 PM. Reason: grammer

Beans

Damn, there are just too many problems with it. I have Kaffeine installed, but it complains that it 'can't connect to the Xserver' whenever I try to open a file. Worse still Kaffeine needs access to kernel drivers to work my TV card - and it can't see these in chroot. There is a 64Bit version of kaffeine - but all the codecs it needs to play mutimedia files and TV streams are in 32 bit - so catch22 I'm afraid.

So it's back to 32 bit for me - and pure debian sid - so I don't have to deal with all of these conflicts between custom distros and the official debian source tree.

Fortunately I've found a bleeding edge distro that will do exactly that. (Or at least it promises to). KANOTIX looks at least promising. Almost excusively debian sid - with a lot of neat features thrown in...

I think it will be a couple of years before everyone get's up to speed on 64Bit - particularly in terms of codecs. But it is at least good that some people are working on it.

GJ
    Last edited by raid517; April 12th, 2005 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

To get Firefox setup with Flash I did the following:

• Ran synaptic32 (as noted in the above thread
    • Installed mozilla-firefox
    • dchroot -d
    • ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox32
    • exit
    • ln -s /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot /usr/local/bin/firefox32
    • Made sure all instances of firefox are closed (you can not run both 32 and 64 bit firefoxes at the same time afaik... it just spawns a new 64 bit thread when you launch the old.
    • firefox32
    • Visited a site with flash on it and ran the automated firefox flash install.

As of right now sound is not working. If I figure out how to get the sound stuff working across the chroot, I'll post it here.

I tried this, and I have verified that I have the 32bit version of firefox running, but I get the following message:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

I've checked that the file exists:

ls -l /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 mthaddon mthaddon 2096844 2004-05-20 07:34 /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Any idea what's happening here?

---------------------------------

Resolution:

Found out I needed to install libxmu6 - fixed the problem. Now have 32bit firefox version running nicely.

Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by mthaddon; April 13th, 2005 at 01:58 AM.
    Dell Inspiron 1420n running Hardy i386.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulfrog
    I've followed the instructions at the head of this thread, but when I reach step 5, I get some problems.... then it all falls apart...

Any help? Thanks!

Code:
     ~$ dchroot -d
    Executing shell in 'hoary' chroot.
    dchroot: chdir: No such file or directory
    dchroot: Child exited non-zero.
    dchroot: Operation failed.
    ~$
    But the following happens without the -d option
    Code:
    ~$ dchroot
    Executing shell in 'hoary' chroot.
    No directory, logging in with HOME=/
    /$exit
    logout
    ~$ synaptic32
    (hoary) synaptic32
    dchroot: chdir: No such file or directory
    dchroot: Child exited non-zero.
    dchroot: Operation failed.
    :~$
    I had the same problem, easy to fix. Just add this bit which is missing from the instructions:

Step 4
    $ sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Add the following lines:
    <snip />
    $ sudo mount -a
    $ sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast