Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Quote Originally Posted by raid517
    I have Kaffeine installed, but it complains that it 'can't connect to the Xserver' whenever I try to open a file.
    That's what happens when /tmp isn't mounted in the chroot (mount --bind /tmp /chroot/tmp, or via fstab).

Worse still Kaffeine needs access to kernel drivers to work my TV card - and it can't see these in chroot.
    If you mean, it can't see the devices, you need to mount --bind /dev /chroot/dev (see my post above). If you mean it can't see the modules, don't worry; only the kernel needs to see them.

There is a 64Bit version of kaffeine - but all the codecs it needs to play mutimedia files and TV streams are in 32 bit
    I'm not familiar with kaffeine, but that doesn't sound right. I can tell you, I run 64-bit MPlayer, VLC and Xine here, and they can play almost everything with only their native (64-bit) codecs.

Beans

Re: 32-Bit Chroot How-To - Sound and Flash

A bit of googling about no sound from flash with chroot (and esd) led to this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64.../msg00337.html

To sum it up, flash looks for /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 (in chroot), so, symlink (in chroot) /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 to /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 and now I have sound. FWIW, I do have esound installed on chroot, but I'm not sure if its needed and I did modprobe snd-ioctl32 per a comment earlier in this thread...also not sure if that is needed.

Hope that helps anyone wanting sound with flash+chroot+esd

--m

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skwashd
    I had the same problem, easy to fix. Just add this bit which is missing from the instructions:

Step 4
    $ sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Add the following lines:
    <snip />
    $ sudo mount -a
    $ sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot
    Thanks, updated!

Beans

Re: 32-Bit Chroot How-To - Sound and Flash

Quote Originally Posted by minuo
    A bit of googling about no sound from flash with chroot (and esd) led to this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64.../msg00337.html

To sum it up, flash looks for /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 (in chroot), so, symlink (in chroot) /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 to /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 and now I have sound. FWIW, I do have esound installed on chroot, but I'm not sure if its needed and I did modprobe snd-ioctl32 per a comment earlier in this thread...also not sure if that is needed.

Hope that helps anyone wanting sound with flash+chroot+esd

--m
    This worked for me as well, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

When I get to step 5 and enter dchroot -d, it gives me the folowing message:
    Code:
    diego@jarkorpc:~$ dchroot
    dchroot: Invalid input line /etc/dchroot.conf:12
    dchroot: Error reading config file '/etc/dchroot.conf'.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by dimatrod; April 16th, 2005 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Step 5, not 4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine
    That's what happens when /tmp isn't mounted in the chroot (mount --bind /tmp /chroot/tmp, or via fstab).

If you mean, it can't see the devices, you need to mount --bind /dev /chroot/dev (see my post above). If you mean it can't see the modules, don't worry; only the kernel needs to see them.

I'm not familiar with kaffeine, but that doesn't sound right. I can tell you, I run 64-bit MPlayer, VLC and Xine here, and they can play almost everything with only their native (64-bit) codecs.
    Thanks. Just one thing though, is there a way to install official Debian unstable in my chroot directory?

I would just prefer this as there are a much wider range of applications for Debian unstable, they are updated more frequently and I can use debian unstable unofficial repositories without worrying that later down the line I am going to run into some kind of dependency conflict or other. (Running a mixed environment from different repositories is never a good idea. For those who have no discovered this yet, sooner or later you will end up running into unresolvable dependancy issues).

I assume it is just a case of changing the address in the intitial instructions? But what address should I use?

GJ

Beans

Thank you Crad for this how to, it worked well ! Also thank you mthaddon for your note about libxmu6.

Great work !

Beans

I can tell you, I run 64-bit MPlayer, VLC and Xine here, and they can play almost everything with only their native (64-bit) codecs.
    Very interesting... I have been trying to get Mplayer installed through synaptic, but no luck; there is still this pbm of dependencies. Would you be kind enough to tell me how you got it working?

Cheers,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by St-Ex
    Very interesting... I have been trying to get Mplayer installed through synaptic, but no luck; there is still this pbm of dependencies. Would you be kind enough to tell me how you got it working?

Cheers,
    I use mplayer in the chroot, but vlc works just fine in 64 bit mode. I've only run divx stuff through it (as I just got the sound working). I installed it via synaptic.

Beans

I use mplayer in the chroot
    I'll have a go myself...

EDIT:

No luck... How did you get it to work?
    Thx.
    Last edited by St-Ex; April 20th, 2005 at 10:07 PM.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast