Thread: Poor gaming performance

Beans

Unhappy Poor gaming performance

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS with GNOME 3.36.8, just installed it today.

I haven't installed many things, I wanted to try playing CS:GO and see how it goes.

Before, in Win10 it worked just fine. I had a good framerate and it was playable with Low settings.

The first time I tried in Ubuntu, it crashed. I started it again and set the absolute minimum settings and tried again, after a long loading screen I got into the game.

It was unplayable; It stabilized a little later but it was still very laggy. What can I do to fix this?

--INFO--

I'm using the nvidia-340 driver instead of the open source noveau drivers;

PC specs:

Intel Core i3 530 2.93 GHz (2 cores, 4 threads)
    Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
    2TB HDD
    4GB DDR3 RAM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Poor gaming performance

Moved to Gaming & Leisure for a better fit.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

didn't see this one. if you are still arround....
    Quote Originally Posted by somir View Post
    I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS with GNOME 3.36.8, just installed it today.

--INFO--

I'm using the nvidia-340 driver instead of the open source noveau drivers;
    make sure they are being actually utilized/used. it think last to support 340 will be 20.04.1, but i could be wrong.
    PC specs:

Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
    2TB HDD
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    nvidia doesn't support the default Wayland well. so be sure to change it to xorg. hopefully that will help to improve performance.

i have single core Athlon, 4 Gb ram and GT730. game runs well on medium. but since last update it takes 8 minutes to load to menu and then 2 minutes for the map to load. i have my dinner in between. after it loads it works well.
    this is not limited to old PC as my kid has Ryzen 7 with 16 Gb ram and GTX 1650 and the game still loads a lot slower than it did before. for him it is close to 2 minutes now. the other one has Ryzen 5 with 8GB ram and fast nvme drive - before he loaded in few seconds now it takes him a while to get into menu. i haven't figured out what is causing the slow loads yet. maybe the next update will resolve it.

you can try:
    - disabling videos on load with -novid launch parameter
    - removing videos and background animation by renaming videos folder in panorama (but it seems to not be as effective since last update)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by somir View Post

Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
    2TB HDD
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    you need more robust hardware, at least a gt1030 to play on low settings, and more ram would help.
    Last edited by nunchuckmadness; March 6th, 2021 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nunchuckmadness View Post
    you need more robust hardware, at least a gt1030 to play on low settings, and more ram would help.
    Granted, they do need better hardware for gaming, any gaming, but saying they need "at least a GT1030 to play on low settings" is utterly ridiculous.

CS:GO system requirements (Linux):
    Code:
    • Processor: 64-bit Dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1
    • Storage: 15 GB available space
    • Sound Card: OpenAL Compatible Sound Card
    And, for comparison, the system requirements for Windows:
    Code:
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Storage: 15 GB available space
    Source: https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...bal_Offensive/

So, one thing is now clear: The system requirements for Linux are notably higher which means the game has been highly optimized for the proprietary Microsoft's DirectX. That it runs better in Windows using the same barely enough hardware is therefore no surprise. The old and not-gaming-oriented GTS250 is the main bottleneck here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Granted, they do need better hardware for gaming, any gaming, but saying they need "at least a GT1030 to play on low settings" is utterly ridiculous.
    welp, probably in windows, he is using a 1gb card in 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ebql5V_0U

Last edited by nunchuckmadness; March 7th, 2021 at 08:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nunchuckmadness View Post
    welp, probably in windows, he is using a 1gb card in 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ebql5V_0U

And an older but much better CPU, double the RAM and much faster and, of course, Windows.
    In a nutshell, the Youtuber's hardware would be reasonable for the game in Linux and the OP's barely enough for the same game in Windows. But you can't expect miracles with the OP's hardware in Linux for any DirectX optimized game in Linux with OpenGL.