Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete installation question

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Complete installation question

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels29 View Post
    I was attempting to get to the latest LTS version of 20.04
    Which command line is best for this (the sofware updater app doesn't work for some reason).
    Depends on where you're now. To go from 16.04 to 20.04, the best way is (I think) a fresh install, keeping your home directory (works best if it's in a separate partition). If the system is already on 18.04, you could try another release upgrade, but I'd first make sure that the 18.04 system is fully functional. You can start the upgrade when the package manager is in a consistent state and all available upgrades for 18.04 have been installed. If the software updater doesn't work, that's something you should fix first, even if you intent to stay on the current version, because it will also block security upgrades.

The fast route to 20.04 is a fresh install, as you don't have to fix things first. But if you want to fix things, try these commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    Show the output of the first command. If the second produces a lot of output, we don't need all of it. Just the main bits if there's some error.

FYI, my last upgrade was last month, when I went from 20.04 to 20.10. It was 50 minutes work, including an 8 minute download (at 5 MB/s). All went well, but going just one release forward is more reliable than going four or even eight.

Beans

For what it's worth I did an upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 yesterday afternoon. It took about three and a half hours and asked a number of questions all of them about keeping or replacing old configuration files.
    The only problem I had was the upgraded computer forgot how to access the Internet, that is DNS stopped working. Asking here I was able to fix it this morning.
    Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; February 9th, 2021 at 08:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did another 16.04 --> 18.04 upgrade today. Took about 45 minutes for the core stuff. 8th-gen Core i5 in an average laptop with SATA SSD. Was asked about keeping old config files about 10 times. login.conf, journalctl.conf, ntp.conf, /etc/default/grub, stuff like that. I suspect average users wouldn't have modified those files.

Then I went through to clean up all the left over 16.04 packages and broke some things.
    • DNS got broke.
    • LUKS worked before and after.
    • My primary yubikey w/ challenge-response didn't work to unlock the LUKS volumes. A secondary yubikey without C-R did work.
    • Other issues were self-inflicted during my cleanup of old packages from 16.04. I removed all input packages, so the mouse and keyboards didn't work on the device. That was funny. Had to ssh in from a different system and install the HWE-kernel modules for the input packages - which fixed it.

Need just a few more minutes. Also moved to the HWE kernel, 5.4, while I was at it.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 11th, 2021 at 01:17 AM.

Beans

Deleted
    Last edited by jmichaels29; February 11th, 2021 at 11:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@jmichaels29, you edited the first post to read "deleted". I have restored the original text. Please do not delete OPs like that; it makes a nonsense of the whole thread. Thanks.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Oops, sorry. Meant to edit the last post to say deleted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12