Thread: firefox snap vs apt

Beans

firefox snap vs apt

How is everyone's experience with the firefox snap?
    firefox 85.0-1 mozilla✓ - Mozilla Firefox web browser

Are there any issues with it as opposed to the apt version? Plugins and everything work fine?
    If I currently have the apt version, if I remove and then install the SNAP version, will all my settings and what not be maintained.

Why do I want the SNAP? More of a curiosity than anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: firefox snap vs apt

That's what user profiles are for: they are separated from the main application. Thus, you keep all your settings.
    If you want to make absolutely sure you retrieve your configuration, then make a copy of your current firefox profile (.mozilla).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If I currently have the apt version, if I remove and then install the SNAP version, will all my settings and what not be maintained.
    apt never touches your personal settings,
    however I have no idea how snaps might interact with them.
    So as the apt version's settings for firefox are in ~/.mozilla/firefox snaps have setting usually in ~/snap/firefox.
    I suppose it should be possible to simply import the profile from one to the other if need be.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    So as the apt version's settings for firefox are in ~/.mozilla/firefox snaps have setting usually in ~/snap/firefox.
    I stand corrected then. I thought it would still use the legacy profile.
    I used Audacity once through the snap (by mistake) and I think that the settings were retrieved when I switched to the apt install. But not sure anymore.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

I believe the snap will put its profile inside ~/snap and will not touch your ~/.mozilla folder created by the deb package version.

You can install the snap version alongside the deb package version and run each of them as takes your fancy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by yaminb View Post
    Why do I want the SNAP?
    You could read the reasoning behind the Ubuntu devs' decision to make Chromium a snap by default.

The main advantage of snaps is that they're sandboxed. The main disadvantage of snaps is that they're sandboxed.

Beans

If you're using Ubuntu, Firefox Snap version doesn't have gnome shell integration, meaning you can't manage your gnome shell extensions with it. The same is true of the Firefox Flatpak version.

Beans

Thanks for this one.

I try and use the SNAP version where possible. I've personally had a good experience with them.
    But if it doesn't suppose gnome shell integration and doesn't use the same profile location (I know an easy fix, but I'm a lazy man)
    I'll just stick with the built in apt version.