Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Ubuntu Server - do I need to partition?

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu Server - do I need to partition?

Well, as you by now know ,it doesn't take much to lose me, but here I go.

The PUID and GUID came from this post. That said, I departed from that post and then went on to set things up using the how-to I linked to earlier from the OMV forum.

Since the OMV how-to doesn't mention a user, I don't know which user to find the PUID and GUID from.

Regarding the uuid string, I am not sure how docker would find the directory if it didn't know the absolute path? Which is what I think it needs it for.

This is where drives are listed:

Code:
    root@omvpeR210lo:/# cd srv
    root@omvpeR210lo:/srv# ls
    dev-disk-by-uuid-95ac1cb3-9588-41ec-a22d-d4f049397005  ftp     salt
    dev-disk-by-uuid-c2a977a3-533c-4f40-a677-069261ea1301  pillar
    Thanks,
    Nick.

EDIT, okay, so I have re-read things and I get it now. The user isn't really important, its just there to provide a PUID and a GUID, so as to stop root from owning the files and them being inaccessible. So I will just create a user 'mrdocker', and then find out his PUID/GUID, and assign those to the stack.

So, I get this now:

Code:
    root@omvpeR210lo:/srv# id mrdocker
    uid=1001(mrdocker) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
    root@omvpeR210lo:/srv#
    In that case I will use PUID=1001; GUID+100.
    Last edited by nick+d; February 4th, 2021 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm a little confused - are those code snippets from Ubuntu or OpenMediaVault? On my Ubuntu server I have nothing in the dir /srv.
    However, use the drive mappings and user ID's that work for you, and let us know how it goes.
    Supermicro Server :: Atom C3558 (4) @ 2.2 GHz :: 32 GB DDR4-2400 :: 512 GB NVMe :: 4x 2 TB SSD @ RAID-Z :: 1x Raspberry Pi 4 Server

Scripts: directory-tools | rsync-backup | add-apt-key

Beans

Yes, they are from OMV - like I said, I am moving back to that as Ubuntu server is just too complicated for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ah ok - good luck!
    Supermicro Server :: Atom C3558 (4) @ 2.2 GHz :: 32 GB DDR4-2400 :: 512 GB NVMe :: 4x 2 TB SSD @ RAID-Z :: 1x Raspberry Pi 4 Server

Scripts: directory-tools | rsync-backup | add-apt-key

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I know people like the the atomic partitioning (all space allocated to one partition) because it is simple but I really would recommend using LVM in conjunction with separating partitions so any runaway data (logs or uploads) do not fill up your entire system. When the root partition becomes full, things tend to break and fail. So I slice off my data and apps onto separate partitions so that the root partition never grows over time or at least never becomes full causing stability issues.

I cover this in the partition section of my "how to install Ubuntu" guide which is rather involved but detailed to allow someone to setup a server which is expected to live a long time with little manual intervention.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123