Thread: Doesn't recognise scanner from HP printer

Beans

Doesn't recognise scanner from HP printer

Hi,
    I changed my printer to a HP Office jet 3830 and as I was testing it it printed the colors in grey, even after checking all settings and verifying that the color cartridge was full. So I followed this tutorial https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/bud09113/ in which the last step is to install the most current printer driver hplip. Now I am able to print colors but I can't use the scanner.

With the Document Scanner software it finds the scanner but when clicking to scan a document it returns "Impossible to connect to the scanner" (translated from french).
    With Xsane it returns Erreur de retour du périphérique 'hpaio:/usb/officejet... Erreur d'entrée/sortie sur le périphérique." Which means Error on the return from the peripheral, Error from the entrance/way out on the peripheral. (sounds weird but périphérique is the scanner.)

I don't know if this may help but here it goes:
    Code:
    ludi@ludi-ThinkPad-T430:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release && uname -ir && groups && lsusb
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS"
    5.4.0-65-generic x86_64
    ludi adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b2db Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Thinkpad T430 camera
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:21e6 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 [ThinkPad]
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 009: ID 03f0:e511 HP, Inc OfficeJet 3830 series
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 090c:2000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) USB DISK
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    ludi@ludi-ThinkPad-T430:~$
    Code:
    ludi@ludi-ThinkPad-T430:~$ dpkg -l | grep sane
    ii  libsane:amd64                                 1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2                    amd64        API library for scanners
    ii  libsane-common                                1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2                    all          API library for scanners -- documentation and support files
    ii  libsane-dev:amd64                             1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2                    amd64        API development library for scanners [development files]
    ii  libsane-hpaio:amd64                           3.20.3+dfsg0-2                       amd64        HP SANE backend for multi-function peripherals
    ii  sane-utils                                    1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2                    amd64        API library for scanners -- utilities
    ii  xsane                                         0.999-8ubuntu2                       amd64        featureful graphical frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)
    ii  xsane-common                                  0.999-8ubuntu2                       all          xsane architecture independent files
    Code:
    [sudo] Mot de passe de ludi : 
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x0a5c [Broadcom Corp], product=0x21e6 [BCM20702A0]) at libusb:001:003
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0xe511 [OfficeJet 3830 series]) at libusb:003:009
    I was trying a new printer because the old Canon printed with slightly visible parallel lines which made it impossible to print good quality images, and after a long search on printers that work well with Linux I found out that HP made their own drivers for Linux, and that it might solve the issues. Could it be that it is a HP model that has issues on Linux? Can you help me find what is bugging with the scanner?

Thanks
    Rod

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Doesn't recognise scanner from HP printer

Thread moved to Hardware for a better fit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What version of 'buntu are you running? How is the printer connected: USB, wifi, ethernet?

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 focal

I am trying with USB.

Beans

I tried this tutorial: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056...and-or-scanner and this one https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/hplip
    and the HP official one
    It always got stuck on the hp-setup graphical interface (even when choosing installing via command line there will be a time when the installation process launches the graphical interface. It finds the printer, the button changes from "Next" to "Add printer" and it doesn't add it. I found the error in the terminal
    Code:
    error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/usb/OfficeJet_3830_series?serial=CN65H2J1Z30664
    and when searching for it I found that there was some success when connecting the computer with the printer via the network and the printer's IP address, here and here and here

So I used the printer's digital panel to connect to my home's network and in the process it gave me the IP address, which I added in the hp-setup graphical interface selecting the option to connect the printer through a network and checking the case for manual input. I inserted the IP address there and the hp-setup concluded successfully.

The printing works well.

The Document Scanner doesn't seem to resume, even that it starts the scanning process. But Xsane works well.

issue solved, I would say
    Where do we mark it as solved?
    Last edited by loudi; February 1st, 2021 at 09:31 PM. Reason: mark as solved?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am not totally sure what you mean by
    The printing works well.
    The Document Scanner doesn't seem to resume, even that it starts the scanning process. But Xsane works well.
    issue solved, I would say
    but if you are really happy that the problem is solved please mark the thread as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu at the top.