Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Total system freeze in 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Total system freeze in 20.04

Often enough to me irritating, version 20.04 of Ubuntu (running XFCE), will come to a complete and absolute halt. Nothing works. The mouse/keyboard has no response at all. The only solution is to use the power switch to kill everything and start over. This did not happen in 18.04.

I've checked the power supply (running at around 75% output), RAM (numerous times), heat (well within norms-including the video card), and all the logs (which show nothing out of the ordinary). I have noticed it seems to happen more often when I am either plugging in or removing a USB drive OR when I open/close Thunar.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Total system freeze in 20.04

Has this always happened on this machine as long as it's had 20.04? Or did it start when something major was updated, e.g. kernel or graphics driver?

What kernel version is this system running? You can find it by running in Terminal
    Code:
    uname -a
    Xubuntu 20.04/Pop!_OS 21.04/System76 hardware ♦ Debian 10/Xubuntu/VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes. Within two hours of installing on this machine (this is a desktop, but I have it on three others - all laptops) it froze on me.

uname -a results: Linux bill-UBU 5.4.0-65-generic #73-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 18 17:25:17 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Bill

Beans

also on 20.04 xubuntu with 5.4.0-65-generic kernel and also noticed lately more and more freezes .
    i've just reckoned maybe it's cause of my OLD pc , but now i'm not so sure anymore.
    what i usually do when it freezes is hit ctrl + alt+ F1 , type username/password and type reboot . (never liked switching of pc by power switch)

sorry i don't have a cure , i'm also looking for one now lol
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In my case, the entire computer locks up. Nothing works. The keyboard is completely dead. No key combinations work at all. I did change the "power switch" action from "do nothing" to "power down." Now, when it locks up, I just touch the power switch and the computer will respond by powering down cleanly. That's the best I can do.

Bill

Beans

Has this always happened on this machine as long as it's had 20.04?
    nope ,had 20.04 for awhile now but freezes only started recently
    when something major was updated, e.g. kernel or graphics drive
    maybe , not sure , i usually don't pay much attention to what exactly gets updated ( i know , my bad )

sorry if this is hijacking a thread , but seems we have the same problem

Beans

In my case, the entire computer locks up. Nothing works
    oh yes , you said that in 1st post , sorry
    in my case at least my mouse&keyboard still works ,just the screen freezes i can click anywhere on it but nothing will happen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you use an NVIDIA driver? I had to change from NVIDIA ro Nouveau X-org driver because my screen would lock up just as your did. Keyboard/Mouse worked, but clicking did nothing. It appears we might have the same problem, especially if you are using the NVIDIA driver.

Bill

Beans

yes i use the NVIDIA driver (cause it says it's recommended) . I'll switch to the Nouveau X-org driver and see if it freezes again .
    Thanks !

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast