Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Total system freeze in 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Total system freeze in 20.04

Then you don't have the same problem. I cannot get through memtest once without failure at around either 30% or 62%, depending on how many memory modules I have installed. I'd suggest maybe starting another thread listing your specific problem and the measure you've taken to solve it.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb Re: Total system freeze in 20.04

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    Then you don't have the same problem. I cannot get through memtest once without failure at around either 30% or 62%, depending on how many memory modules I have installed. I'd suggest maybe starting another thread listing your specific problem and the measure you've taken to solve it.

Bill
    Does your system pack an intel® Core Processor™ (FCLGA 1156, 1155, 1150, 1151, 1200, 1366, 2011, 2011v3, or 2066); or an AMD® Athlon 64® or later (Socket AM2/+, AM3/+, FM1/+. FM2/+, or AM4)? The memory manager is on the die for these MPU's. Two LTS cycles ago, I was tripped up by a memory manager failure. Swap out the MPU to rule out a memory-management-unit failure.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

I cannot get through memtest once without failure at around either 30% or 62%, depending on how many memory modules I have installed.
    You can first prove only two memory modules. If they are ok you can remove them and prove the next two ones until you get an error. The faulty one can you remove. In the end you can only use good memory modules in a computer.

Beans

In User Guide of my motherboard:
    Always install DIMMs with same CAS latency.
    Due to chipset limitation, this motherboard can only support up to 8 GB on the operating systems listed below.
    You may install a maximum of 2 GB DIMMs on each slot.
    Qualified Vendors Lists (QVL) DDR3-1333MHz capability:
    Size/Vendor/Part No./SS(Single-sided)/DS
    1024MB/CORSAIR/CM3X1024-1333C9DHX/DS(Double-sided)
    Visit the ASUS website for the latest DDR3-1600/1333/1067/800MHz QVL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vmpx View Post
    In User Guide of my motherboard:
    @vmpx: Your motherboard is nothing like mine. I can support two modules only, each of 8GB. They have worked just fine for over 4 years. Due to my 50+ years in computers, I know how to check, and retain, any good modules. Both the original and the replacements I bought are good modules. The fault lies in either the motherboard or the CPU's MMU.

@bcschmerker: A very good idea. I don't remember what CPU was put into the slot, but the MOBO specifications are here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/760G.../Specification This was a replacement CPU for a slower one. It isn't overclocked. Just run normally. I have the older, slower CPU, so I might drop it in temporarily to see if it fixes the running of memtest. if it passes, then the CPU is faulty and I'll replace it. Thanks for the clue.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans

I have:
    CPU: LGA775 socket for Intel Core 2 Quad - Q9550
    Chipset: Intel X48 / ICH9R with Intel Fast Memory Access Technology

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Finally! The new CPU I ordered arrived after a month of being strapped on the back of a turtle coming from China. Using both the new and old RAM modules, I get exactly the same MEMTEST results. Looks like the MOBO is fried. Don't know if a MOBO-transplant is even worth it, given how old the box is--despite the upgrades in power supply (250W to 475W), RAM, video card, internal HDs, and even a new DVD unit.

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am back to square one. I have three laptops (of varying vintage) and a second desktop (slightly newer than my primary desktop) and all are running 20.04. On a whim, I ran the Boot Menu MEMTEST. Each and every one of them failed at exactly the same spot (66%) in the default memory test.

All of them can't be bad. It is my opinion that the MEMTEST is flawed and cannot be relied upon for diagnosing memory problems.

Bill

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567