Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Total system freeze in 20.04

Beans

Re: Total system freeze in 20.04

Do you know how to clear the CMOS on the motherboard? There should be two pins you can short.

Beans

This has been known to fix a misbehaving motherboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry. Once again the email system has failed to notify me of a response.

Quote Originally Posted by lordgallen View Post
    Would you consider re-installing 18.04 to see if it's working the way it should, or like before, and then re-installing 20.04, maybe something occurred during the first install. How about giving it another shot, to be sure that it's not hardware related?
    I ran a live session from CD and, yes, it did fail after about three hours of surfing the web and other RAM intensive activities. So, my estimation is the RAM driver chip(s) failed about the time I upgraded--maybe even at the same time.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniewicz View Post
    Do you know how to clear the CMOS on the motherboard? There should be two pins you can short.
    Yes, I do. But according to the extensive testing I've done, there are actually TWO address lines rising when only one should be selected. According to the o-scope, the second (erroneous) address line is coming up as a spike and not a square wave.

Definitely a bad driver chip.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post Re: Total system freeze in 20.04

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    I swapped the two RAM modules around. When I ran the test again, it failed at exactly the same spot: 30% and the Address was nearly the same (in the same testing block of 2G). I need a little bit of advice now. Does this indicate a bad RAM module, or could it be something on the motherboard? I'm not at all sure how RAM is addressed electrically as well as by the OS. What is strange is I have Windows as dual boot and it has never frozen--at least the times I've run it.

I'm tempted to go ahead and buy two new RAM modules. but would hate to go the expense if it might be something elsewhere, such as the motherboard. That, I can't replace as it in itself IS already a replacement from an older board. The box is ten years old, motherboard six, RAM modules two. It is truly a frankenmonster.

Bill
    Two LTS cycles ago, I had random crashes in the Hot Rod gPC, traced it to a bad MPU. The Advance Micro Devices® Athlon64® Series (AMD MPU generation K8) was the first desktop MPU to pack an on-die memory manager; intel® followed suit with the Core Processor series (starting with the 1st-Gen Core, FCLGA 1156). Intel Corporation and Advance Micro Devices use different approaches to the MMU, as the Core Processor Series (FCLGA 1156, 1155, 1150, 1151, 1200) and Core Processor-X Series (FCLGA 1366, 2011, 2011v3, 2066) uses different IOMMU kernel procedures from the Sempron/Athlon/Phenom (Sockets AM2b, AM3, AM3b, FM1, FM2, FM2b, AM4). I'm currently preparing a hunt for an AMD Athlon 64 BE-2450 (2 CPUs, 200 MHz x 12.5; Socket AM2 - P/N ADH2450IAA5DO) for the emachines®/acer® EL1210-09 that I'm preparing for projection duty at OMS Japanese Christian, and an Athlon II® X4 630 (4 CPUs, 200 MHz x 14; Socket AM2b - P/N ADX630WFK42GI) for the ASUS® CM1630 currently running Win 10; the Athlon II® X2 220 (2 CPUs, 200 MHz x 14; Socket AM2b - P/N ADX220OCK22GI) currently in the CM1630 will go into the Hot Rod, once I've a new planar.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; March 20th, 2021 at 05:06 AM.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

I have a similar problem when using thunar file manager. only it more than locks up. it totally logs out and I lose all work. No warning. Just blank screen then login screen. I'm trying a different manager. It only happens when I'm working with the file manager which in this case happens to be thunar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thunar has done this to me several times as well. Tosses me right off the system. No halts, but I'm back to the login screen almost immediately. But, this is off-topic for this thread.

Bill

Beans

I have the same problem on 20.04 and not on 18.04 or 16.04.
    nvidia GEFORCE GT730 Silent 2GB DDR3 from ASUS
    nouveau driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vmpx View Post
    I have the same problem on 20.04 and not on 18.04 or 16.04.
    nvidia GEFORCE GT730 Silent 2GB DDR3 from ASUS
    nouveau driver
    Have you narrowed it down to mis-addressed RAM chips on the motherboard?

Bill

Beans

Result of Memtest86+
    Pass: 1 Errors: 0

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast