Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Total system freeze in 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Total system freeze in 20.04

@Dragonfly41: To be more specific about the results of the test you outlined, when I plugged in just one of the modules (in either slot, DIMM1 or DIMM2) the test ran to 61% then failed each time, on each module, in either slot. This, to me, indicates a motherboard problem. The default test was "own address parallel." Other specific tests failed at different percentages, but none of them made it all the way through to 100%.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I tend to agree with your diagnosis. But some more reading matter ..

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_indiv...est-descr.html

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001089.htm

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth".

Arthur Conan Doyle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What I forgot to add before was I received my new modules this morning. neither one of them passed either and I KNOW they are good as they pass in another computer. incidentally, so did the original modules. Something I should have done right away was swap the "failing" modules into the other box. Shrug.

Good references.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Again, try swapping the graphics card if you have one available or just use the iGPU - if available - for the purpose of testing the memory.
    Memory test software test both VRAM, the graphics card own RAM, and the system's RAM (if using iGPU only it tests only the system's RAM, of course). The errors you're experiencing consistently at the same point (~30% with 2 modules and ~60% with only one, irrespective of the modules being tested and in what order) strongly suggest the problem is in the graphics card, not in the system's memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did that this afternoon. The situation remains the same regardless which graphic card I use. My normal card is an NVIDIA GT710 (Yes, I know it's old) and I temporarily replaced it with an even older GT220. I'm afraid the MOBO is a goner.

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    Did that this afternoon. The situation remains the same regardless which graphic card I use. My normal card is an NVIDIA GT710 (Yes, I know it's old) and I temporarily replaced it with an even older GT220. I'm afraid the MOBO is a goner.

Bill
    That being the case I must agree with you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Darn shame, too. The case is only 12 years old. Internally, it's been gutted and replaced a lot of times. A true Frankenmonster.

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The motherboard might need recapping.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post Re: Total system freeze in 20.04

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    I see you're running a GeForce 210. That's a pretty old card from around 2009. Could be the X-org driver doesn't support it. This could also be the reason the more up-to-date NVIDIA driver (340.108) isn't working well either.

Bill
    I've a related, not identical, issue with an emachines®/acer® EL1210-09 (Acer Computer DAO78L: 2.4 GHz Advance Micro Devices® Athlon 64® LE-1620; nVIDIA® MCP78 northbridge (with C77 64-bit geForce® GPU) and MCP72 I/O hub), and I want the planar C77 only for kernel reporting, as I've already retrofitted a msi® N610GT-1GD3-LP video display adapter (nVIDIA® GF119) that is currently supported for primary and secondary displays. I found the nvidia-340-dkms driver buggy, the libnvidia-*-390 and linux-modules-nvidia-390-*-generic packages stable; may have to open a new Thread for booting with both GPUs for their specifc purposes. Wouldn't be surprised if nvidia-340 is a WontFix.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; March 14th, 2021 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Syntax - no [/b].
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

Would you consider re-installing 18.04 to see if it's working the way it should, or like before, and then re-installing 20.04, maybe something occurred during the first install. How about giving it another shot, to be sure that it's not hardware related?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast