Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm still using Unity

Beans

Why I'm still using Unity

I tried to switch my 20.04 lts to the regular type Ubuntu desktop.
    Anyways, I couldn't drag files to the desktop, drag a file from my download folder to my thumb drive, etc...

If I can't do simple things like this, then I'm sticking with Unity.
    Last edited by jmichaels29; January 27th, 2021 at 09:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Why I'm still using Unity

Not a support request, moved to UL&OS Chat.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why I am not using Unity.

There came a point at which I was limited in the help I could give on this forum to new users who were running Gnome shell. It was irrelevant that they did not know it was Gnome shell. But how could I give instructions on how to do things in Gnome shell if I was unfamiliar with it?

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Why I am not using Unity.

There came a point at which I was limited in the help I could give on this forum to new users who were running Gnome shell. It was irrelevant that they did not know it was Gnome shell. But how could I give instructions on how to do things in Gnome shell if I was unfamiliar with it?

Regards
    I can understand that. However, the current GUI desktop environment just isn't getting it for me. Dragging files from windows to other places (desk top, usb thumb drive, etc...) is a basic feature found in other operating systems. Shucks, I just tried to drag a jpg file on the desktop to the pictures folder - no can do!

I did some reading. Isn't the current desktop of Ubuntu Gnome 3, and what I'm using is actually Unity.
    Last edited by jmichaels29; January 28th, 2021 at 04:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels29 View Post
    I can understand that. However, the current GUI desktop environment just isn't getting it for me. Dragging files from windows to other places (desk top, usb thumb drive, etc...) is a basic feature found in other operating systems. Shucks, I just tried to drag a jpg file on the desktop to the pictures folder - no can do!

I did some reading. Isn't the current desktop of Ubuntu Gnome 3, and what I'm using is actually Unity.
    It seems that GNOME (and especially Nautilus) now wants (maybe more accurate to say "demands") me to do things their way - the old "my way or the highway" approach. I worked in environments where some workers managed to keep things organized and out-of-view. That wasn't, and still isn't, my way of doing things. My physical desktop is occupied with various "current" projects, and those projects don't get moved to an out-of-view location until they've reached a level of completeness - be it temporary or more permanent.

Anyway we all have our own way of doing things. My way isn't the "right way" for everyone, neither is their way the right way for everyone, so nautilus has just become a total pain for me to use. This is not limited to just Ubuntu's iteration of GNOME as I've tested it in other distro's like Debian and Fedora, If I'm just setting up a media center (for watching movies and listening to music) Ubuntu is just fine and about the only two apps I install are Caffeine (to inhibit screen sleep) and VLC.

But my actual "work" desktop demands that I be able to do things my way and not the way a software designer wants me to do things. KDE Plasma lets me do that although I do find it slightly "bloated". Mate desktop tries to be flexible but I find the menu structure annoying. So I'm back to "rolling my own" using the GNOME Flashback session added to Ubuntu and with Nemo file manager replacing Nautilus. It's NOT perfect but it's the closest I've found to perfect-for-me at this point in time.

One thing is much more frustrating than the various Linux desktop environments I've chosen not to use - Windows desktop environment! If I absolutely had to use Windows for "work-type" activities I think I'd have to ask the doc for some medication - is Valium still a thing? File management in Windows 10 seems just awkward! Not everything about Windows is horrible however - I highly approve of their new Edge browser. It does things that I actually find useful (like recommending discounts/coupons while shopping) and seems to be no more intrusive than Chrome.

Beans
    Distro

Add on functionality in Gnome is provided by extensions. I'm using some to customize my system.
    Alternate Tab, Application menu, Dash to Panel, Open Weather, Vitals and Desktop Icons NG (DING).

Desktop Icons NG (DING) works in Gnome 3.38 and provides functionality to present icons on the desktop and also to drag and drop files and folders from Nautilus to the Desktop.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...icons-ng-ding/
    Now I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed with Gnome, but it ought to also work on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I highly approve of their new Edge browser. It does things that I actually find useful.
    I'm sharing this at the risk of breaking with the OP. It may interest you to know that the EDGE Browser is a fantastic PDF reader and printer. It will format it (the PDF) perfect for the print job. Right click and choose "open with other" and choose the browser and you are on the way. It also solves the problem of doing a new install of Windows 10 and not having a PDF reader installed. A problem I find annoying.
    FYI

Beans

Desktop Icons NG (DING) sounds like a good solution, if it allows me to drag and drop files from anywhere to anywhere.

Until the current Ubuntu desktop (Gnome 3) can do this, I'll continue to use Unity. I read the next version of Gnome will be Gnome 40. I assume Ubuntu will use it in the future. I will try to find a website, forum, or irc channel to express my concerns and hope that future releases of Gnome will have the features I want.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels29 View Post
    Desktop Icons NG (DING) sounds like a good solution, if it allows me to drag and drop files from anywhere to anywhere.

Until the current Ubuntu desktop (Gnome 3) can do this, I'll continue to use Unity. I read the next version of Gnome will be Gnome 40. I assume Ubuntu will use it in the future. I will try to find a website, forum, or irc channel to express my concerns and hope that future releases of Gnome will have the features I want.
    Tried it on Ubuntu Hirsute with Gnome 3.38.2. Works fine with these use cases
    - drag and drop from Nautilus to Desktop
    - drag and drop from Dektop to Nautilus
    - drag and drop from Nautillus to external usb disk shown on desktop
    - drag and drop from external usb disk to Desktop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P-I H View Post
    Tried it on Ubuntu Hirsute with Gnome 3.38.2. Works fine with these use cases
    - drag and drop from Nautilus to Desktop
    - drag and drop from Dektop to Nautilus
    - drag and drop from Nautillus to external usb disk shown on desktop
    - drag and drop from external usb disk to Desktop
    Perhaps I'll give it a try. Is this the same as the "Desktop Icons NG (DING)" posted earlier, or is Hirsute something different.
    What's the easy way to install this - I assume I should log out and boot with regular Ubuntu first. After installing this, if I still don't like the current desktop of Ubuntu, will this installation affect my Unity desktop?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast