Thread: Creating new storage space on a second Hard Drive, permission denied to write to it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Creating new storage space on a second Hard Drive, permission denied to write to it?

I've gotten into "Disks" gui menu, where it appears I can edit partitions, edit file systems, others stuff, but I can't figure out why I can't just simply use GParted -> create partition -> then add a folder to that 500GB Hard Drive (that is how simple Windows would be). So... do I need to explicitly set permission for my secondary drive to allow write privileges?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Creating new storage space on a second Hard Drive, permission denied to write to

Just went through the same thing here, added another SSD to my system. I used gparted just like you but had no permissions to do anything. Root owns the drive... I simply used sudo nautilus and gave myself permissions on the drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Creating new storage space on a second Hard Drive, permission denied to it?

[SOLVED]
    Literally just Right Clicked inside there (the storage location, for me it was my Other Location -> 500GB ), right click, went to properties, then permission tab, and there was "Owner" -> Me, and "Group"- > my username, and "others".

I just changed Group which was "my username" to be able to "create and delete"

Root owns the drive... I simply used sudo nautilus and gave myself permissions on the drive.
    How to TAG Exploder? ^^^^

Is doing sudo nautilus the same thing as what I did through the gui method? Or did "give yourself permission" by making yourself root every time you use that storage space, as opposed to making the storage space a user level type of thing? Or am I just not understanding and need to do more research?

edit: I quit for today,, too tired.
    Last edited by howefield; March 19th, 2021 at 05:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Creating new storage space on a second Hard Drive, permission denied to write to

By opening the file manager (nautilus) through the terminal with the prefix sudo we use the file manager as root. Any folders or files we create or copy will be owned by root and we will have to change permissions to do more than access those folders and files when we are an ordinary user again.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530