Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unable to get past GRUB 2.04 when trying to boot or get permissions

Beans

Re: Unable to get past GRUB 2.04 when trying to boot or get permissions

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    If you can see the files then it isn't encrypted.
    From a live session you may need to change ownership of the folders/files to copy them. First thing you need to know is the mount point of the source. In the live session you can open Disks and click on the drive to select it (left column list) then in the partition itself on the right. Below the graphical representation of the drive you should see mounted as... Right-click and copy. Open a terminal and either right-click and paste or CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste the mount point after the following command:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R ubuntu:ubuntu <mount_point>
    The argument "-R" means recursively and "ubuntu" is the username of the live session.
    With this done you should be able to copy everything from your old user's user folder. Then you cam install a proper Ubuntu and from then on DO YOUR BACKUPS!
    Thanks Celtic...at least I know my files aren't encrypted
    (which is odd because when I used the 7200HD on my old HP laptop I had to put in password to get into ubuntu then another to use sudo/root. Being a noob, I presumed that the need to use a password to access the drive meant I had encrypted it.).
    When I entered the live session, it said initramfs initialization failed and some other stuff but got into the "Try Ubuntu" desktop.
    Using terminal I followed advice here: askubuntu.com/questions/583909/how-do-i-check-where-devices-are-mounted
    So the 7200HD is called sda & the linux partition which is the bulk of the 7200HD drive is called sda5 that is ext4
    The USB is called sdb.

I went into Drives, saw the sda/7200HD drive and clicked on the sda5 partition.
    But I can't seem to right click anything. Right click works every where else and I tried several mice.
    I noticed that it said "Not Mounted" so I used the instructions to mount here: cyberciti.biz/faq/mount-drive-from-command-line-ubuntu-linux/
    So it is now mounted as /media/newhd/
    I tried your command and eventually gave me a prompt back without errors.

Now I need to copy all the files into my external hd which is sdc.
    I couldn't find the newhd through files using the GUI, so I assume I have to copy via terminal.
    I am presuming I would attach the usb external HD, then mount it, then transfer all the files from the sda5 to the ?sdc?(the drive)? or sdc1 (the partition)?
    should I use cp or rsync or what?

I would be appreciative if you said exactly which terminal commands I should use so I can get this right.
    The last time I tried to wing it, I spent over a month trying to correct it...
    And yes, I promise I will back up...however, what is the recommended way to do that? (such as the best app).
    help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/backup-how.html.en tells me to use an app but doesn't say which one
    Thanks for everyone who has helped me to this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You may need to copy your​ personal files, certainly not all files from that drive.

Beans

You may need to copy your​ personal files, certainly not all files from that drive.
    Understood but I would think that it would be safer and easier to just copy the entire drive than to pick and choose and make a mistake.
    how would I do that reliably though?
    Do I use cp or rsync or what and how do I verify?
    Is there a way to see if the contents of one file are exactly the same (including hidden and protected files) as another? Like "Merge" or compare.
    There's less than 100Gigs of files anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're creating problems for yourself for absolutely no reason.
    You don't need any hidden files as those are settings of installed programs that you don't want to carry over from an old installation.
    Copying your personal files after "chown'ing" them can be done with the file manager (Files) as you would do when copying/moving any other file in an installed system. The same for backups, all that matters is copying somewhere else your own files, the ones you would like not to loose in case of problems or drive failure. Simply use an external drive and, preferably and additionally, a cloud service of which there are many to choose from. No need, at this point, to use commands you don't understand.

Beans

You're creating problems for yourself for absolutely no reason.
    You don't need any hidden files as those are settings of installed programs that you don't want to carry over from an old installation.
    Copying your personal files after "chown'ing" them can be done with the file manager (Files) as you would do when copying/moving any other file in an installed system. The same for backups, all that matters is copying somewhere else your own files, the ones you would like not to loose in case of problems or drive failure. Simply use an external drive and, preferably and additionally, a cloud service of which there are many to choose from. No need, at this point, to use commands you don't understand.
    Oh, I must have misspoke.
    I wasn't trying to be smart, I have some website that was created in virtual box and I need to make sure EVERYTHING is copied so that it will work when I copy and then recopy it onto the fresh install.
    I am afraid that if I just copy the regular files some protected or system files that are part of the website will be lost or unusable

I first tried to go to Files to copy but got confused because there are, for example, TWO different external HDs one which says that gives an option to unmount with parent folder /media/ubuntu and another which gives the option to safely remove and says its parent folder is /media.
    I am assuming that I copy from the /media/ubuntu that is mounted?
    However, there was some sudo error "Segmentation fault (core dumped) regarding the attempt to mount the sdc1 External HD.
    Did I do that right? I was assuming I am supposed to mount the partition sda5 and sdc1 and NOT the drives sda and sdc.
    Please let me know.

I tried remounting the External HD but the command is still processing...
    If successful, My plan is to open the windows for the drives I see in the left menu column on the desktop and then cut & paste what is in the 7200HD to the External.
    Am I doing something wrong with the External HD mounting?
    Did I not need to mount the external or did I mount it wrong?
    Is there a way to ensure that the files are completely copied to the external? Or compare the two files/directories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A virtual machine is a file, ONE file... It has no special permissions, it isn't hidden, and there are no system files involved. All you need to do after saving that file somewhere else, reinstall the host OS and Virtualbox is to import it back to Virtualbox. Everything in that virtual machine will be as before.

Again, what makes sense is to retrieve your personal files of which that VM is one of them. Where to copy from and where to save them is up to you. We can't help you that, we can't see what your seeing.

Is there a way to ensure that the files are completely copied to the external? Or compare the two files/directories?
    Yes, rsync does that. However, I'm afraid that will be another layer of confusion. You're already confused with the most trivial things and very likely worrying about things that doesn't matter and we're at it for days. Honestly, I'm tired.

Beans

You're already confused with the most trivial things and very likely worrying about things that doesn't matter and we're at it for days. Honestly, I'm tired.
    Your comments were a bit harsh especially considering that I am trying my best.
    Perhaps it has been a while since you have been a noob and you may have forgotten how overwhelming everything is.

I think I have been able to successfully rsync the drive onto another drive which I had to do because the live usb method didn't work.
    I had tried dragging and dropping from the GUI but it claimed a lot of the files were special files that I could not copy so I ended up using rsync.
    I also tried the cp cmd but got some "error reading" and "Invalid argument" errors.
    However, despite rsync what appears to be all the files (no error returned after the rsync cmd and eyeballing the files looks like nothing is missing), I am unable to pull up the VM using vagrant up.

When I tried to install vagrant and virtualbox and use them with vagrant up it claimed a "Gem::LoadError can't activate (some newer version vagrant file) because (another older version vagrant file) was already activated"
    I have not been able to work around this.

I am assuming this is a vagrant issue and beyond the scope of ubuntu (so I need to ask elsewhere) but please let me know if that type of error can occur if I did something wrong on the rsync or perhaps if I am putting the vagrant or virtualbox or entering the "vagrant up" cmd in the wrong directory.
    Celtic previously stated that the VM should be a single file but I guess I am unclear on, after I have successfully moved the file, how to access it once again using a different hard drive (eg, do I have to reinstall vagrant and virtualbox or use existing files or perhaps update existing files or replace).
    Thanks for your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234