Thread: Will the Google Hangouts extension stop working on Chromium on March 15, 2021?

Beans

Will the Google Hangouts extension stop working on Chromium on March 15, 2021?

Use Chromium? Sync Features Will Stop Working on March 15 - OMG! Ubuntu!

Google is cutting off access to a number of private APIs used in Chromium builds from March 15, 2021. Among the APIs nixed are those supporting the browser’s account syncing services, translation, and spell checking.

• Google account sync
    • Geolocation
    • Click to Call
    • Chrome spelling API
    • Contacts API
    • Chrome translate element
    • Safe browsing

I'm using the Google Hangouts extension on Chromium on Xubuntu 20.04. Google Hangouts and Meet are integrated with each other and I'm using it for video calls and chat. Will this stop working on March 15, 2021 after Google nixes the above mentioned features?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Will the Google Hangouts extension stop working on Chromium on March 15, 2021?

Who knows? Wait until the time and then tell us what happens. There will be people coming on this forum and asking why this or that is broken. You can give them the reason why.

The claim is made that "Google is cutting off access to a number of private APIs used in Chromium. The hangouts extension does not seem to be a private API but a Google devised extension. Google devised extensions are not the target. I think. But people do strange things and their motives are not always clear to the rest of us.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Will the Google Hangouts extension stop working on Chromium on March 15, 2021?

Hope Ubuntu put Chrome in the app store, sure I got it installed, but loved an automated snap

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It stopped working for me for some time now. I use GoogleVoice now to make calls.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by remy-wehrung View Post
    Hope Ubuntu put Chrome in the app store, sure I got it installed, but loved an automated snap
    As far as I know Google does not allow redistribution of Chrome.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Which is silly, right? Certainly, it is easy to find tutorials for installing Chrome under system X, but it is silly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I wonder if and how this will affect all Chromium based browsers that include any of these features.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    It stopped working for me for some time now. I use GoogleVoice now to make calls.
    Strange, Google Hangouts still worked for me though, I used it yesterday to video call my family. Google Hangouts uses Google Meet for video calls now, when you press the video icon, it generates a Google Meet video call link that you send to the person or persons you want to video call with.