Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14.04 to 16.04 upgrade issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 14.04 to 16.04 upgrade issue

I have been thinking. I am sorry but I sometimes do that.

A fresh install would seem to be the best option. I am curious. During the upgrade process did you get a dialog asking for authorization to remove obsolete packages? If we agree to that the Unity desktop gets removed. It happened on my upgrade from 18.04 (with Unity still on it) to 20.04.

Furthermore, did you also get a dialog asking you to choose between LightDM (Light Display Manager) and GDM (Gnome Display Manager). LightDM is the display manager that loads the Unity login screen. Which may have been removed. I made this mistake. GDM should have been installed by the upgrade process. It needs to be configured. May be.

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
    Hopefully you do not need to install Gnome 3 Shell. Who knows at this point.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Hi thanks for thinking about this! I got none of the mentioned. All I could see is it attempted then didn’t go fully to completion. The Ubuntu 20.04 fresh install didn’t go well (spent ages doing nothing) so I made a Kubuntu 20.04 USB and that has worked. Although I now have a windows partition, a Ubuntu 16.04 partition, a kubuntu partition and I think a Ubuntu 20.04 partition as well.
    I will spend some time retrieving any files from these various partitions and then probably wipe the drive and reinstall just kubuntu!!
    Thanks for all the assistance.
    I did try the sudo apt-get upgrade but that didn’t do anything.

Beans

A note about ESM support: It can be free for a limited number of machines (3 for anyone, or 50 depending ...) Very useful for the odd machine that may take some effort to upgrade (like the 1G ram Intel Compute Stick which came with 14.04).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    A note about ESM support: It can be free for a limited number of machines (3 for anyone, or 50 depending ...) Very useful for the odd machine that may take some effort to upgrade (like the 1G ram Intel Compute Stick which came with 14.04).
    Thanks I didn't know that. At one time I tried to buy support from Canonical and they refused to sell it to me unless I put it ion specific hardware.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12