Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 static connection doesn't get search domain after boot.

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 static connection doesn't get search domain after boot.

Upgraded from 18.04 where everything worked just fine. After reboot, don't see local computers. Checked /etc/resolv.conf, there is no search domain. Checked Network Manager configuration, search domain is there. After a bit of tinkering, tried to restart systemd-resolved. Well, it fixed the problem, /etc/resolv.conf has a search domain. This problem is not happening on laptop with DHCP Wi-Fi connection.
    So far I made a script which runs on cron every half an hour and restarts resolved if there is no search domain. Any better solution?

I should say I'm disappointed. With Ubuntu since 5.04, networking always worked perfectly, didn't have to do anything except setup.
    Separate issue is netplan on servers, I don't have any nice words for this thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 static connection doesn't get search domain after boot.

Don't use systemd-resolved?
    Or resolvconf
    Or network-manager

The manually modified /etc/resolv.conf works perfectly, just like it has since the mid-1990s. All the extra complexities aren't needed.

Count yourself lucky of you've not run into network issues with Ubuntu. Since 12.04, I've been fighting with whatever new pushed thing Canonical decides was "best" for normal people to get a working solution. Since I run a DNS server on my network, I don't need any local caching and certainly don't need/want mDNS or Avahi.

Netplan took about a year ago to work for my needs. I don't use IPv6 at all. It is disabled in the kernel for all my systems where I can do that. My router blocks all IPv6 traffic and Teredo tunneling attempts. I'm just not ready to deal with all the security aspects that IPv6 includes.