Thread: None Detected Error in KVM

Beans

None Detected Error in KVM

Trying to assist someone with setting up a Windows virtual machine with KVM on Pop! OS 20.04. Every time she selects the Windows iso in virt-manager GUI it gives the error "None detected." Virt-manager CLI gives an unrecognized arguments error, and I don't have the exact commands used to know why that isn't working.

Versions:

libvirt 0.5.5-1
    virt-manager 1:2.2.1-4ubuntu2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: None Detected Error in KVM

Where did the iso come from? How was the iso prepared? What medium contains the iso?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Iso came from the Windows Media Creation Tool. It was stored on the desktop, but copying it to other directories gives the same issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Crsh View Post
    Iso came from the Windows Media Creation Tool. It was stored on the desktop, but copying it to other directories gives the same issue.
    When downloading from any non-Windows system the webpage only gives you the option to download the ISO and that has nothing to do with the Windows Media Creation tool. It's purely the web browser doing a download like any other and like any other it can be corrupt, partial download, etc. Rare nowadays but still happen.

When downloading from a Windows system then, and only then, the Windows Media Creation tool is involved/called and, if I remember correctly its default is to to automatically "burn" an USB. Maybe it has some option to only download the ISO, not sure.

So, please describe exactly how the ISO was obtained. If you created an USB and then imaged it that's likely the problem. The ISOs Microsoft currently distributes don't follow standards and normal imaging tools are known not to work: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mk..._install_drive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What are the major settings for the VM you are trying to install into? For example, a 32-bit VM can't accept a 64-bit OS. I'd expect a different error than "None detected.", but if there isn't a disk controller configured and connected to the CD/DVD virtual device, then ISO can't be accessed.

Posting the xml file for the VM would be helpful.
    $ virsh dumpxml {vm name}
    Please use code tags so it is readable. How: https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode#code
    Make it easy for us to help, please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    When downloading from any non-Windows system the webpage only gives you the option to download the ISO and that has nothing to do with the Windows Media Creation tool. It's purely the web browser doing a download like any other and like any other it can be corrupt, partial download, etc. Rare nowadays but still happen.

When downloading from a Windows system then, and only then, the Windows Media Creation tool is involved/called and, if I remember correctly its default is to to automatically "burn" an USB. Maybe it has some option to only download the ISO, not sure.

So, please describe exactly how the ISO was obtained. If you created an USB and then imaged it that's likely the problem. The ISOs Microsoft currently distributes don't follow standards and normal imaging tools are known not to work: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mk..._install_drive
    It turned out to be the ISO. After re-downloading from MS, the issue did not re-occur.