Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye pain using Ubuntu

Beans

Eye pain using Ubuntu

Hello guys,

I tried Ubuntu, but I experience eye pain after 30-45 minutes of using it. I do not experience any eye pain using windows. I have a GTX 1060. I checked the resolution and refresh rate, both are native to my monitor.
    I would appreciate any help!

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Eye pain using Ubuntu

If you are using the computer in the evening or night times, try redshift-gtk which filters blue light. In my case it certainly has helpd relieve eye strain when watching the screen at night.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Sent from my iSomething running Linux - safe, fast and it is free! Didn't have to pay for the badge

Beans

I have blue light filter on my monitor, and on windows I don't experience any eye pain. The problem must be with Ubuntu, but I don't know what it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe just the color tone? I know for me the default Ubuntu colors, the orangish / brown in particular is harsh for my eyes. I don't really know why but I typically come up with grey / bluish themes.

Beans

Well, with Linux, one tends to consume large amounts of coffee and other hot drinks, while pondering the intricacies of the system. So, maybe you should just make sure that you remove the spoon from the mug, so that you don't poke it in your eye...

Beans

Have you installed NVidia drivers ?

Beans

There is a big difference between font rendering in Windows vs. Linux, so if the eye strain was caused by reading then try to fiddle with the font rendering settings in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hard to deal with vague complaints. Have you looked at font size or design?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can go to very top bar, far right dropdown arrow (where you Power Off) and select Settings.
    Then Appearance.
    Try Window Theme > dark to ease the eye strain.
    There are other UI tweaks you can make. Font size etc.

Beans

Thanks for your response guys. I know my description is pretty vague, but the problem is really frustrating. I installed the Nvidia driver, Dark theme seems to help a little bit. I installed Gnome tweaks, but I dont really know what to change in the fonts menu. I will try to fiddle around hope the eye strain gets better. Is there any graphics driver changes I can make?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast