Thread: full disk encryption problem with ubuntu 18.04

Beans

full disk encryption problem with ubuntu 18.04

Hello everyone I am following the steps detailed here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...ion_Howto_2019
    to achieve (almost) full disk encryption.
    Unfortunately I have run into a problem at the very end of the process.
    The guide says this command
    Code:
    # while [ ! -d /target/etc/default/grub.d ]; do sleep 1; done; echo "GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y" > /target/etc/default/grub.d/local.cfg
    should return almost immediatly, as the grub folder is created rather early in the installation process.
    However in my case the installation stops at "installing the 'grub2' package" and the terminal keeps hanging.

I also get this error message:
    GRUB installation failed.
    The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

Any idea what could be causing this ? i made sure to do everything the same way it's done in the guide

some additional information: i disabled legacy mode from my bios and i selected uefi mode on rufus when creating the bootable usb stick with ubuntu. i will try non-uefi mode and let you know if that fixes this.
    Last edited by elypzkou; January 23rd, 2021 at 11:03 AM.

Beans

Re: full disk encryption problem with ubuntu 18.04

update: for some unknown reason running live ubuntu in BIOS mode did not give me this installation error. I had to enable legacy mode on my bios, change the settings on rufus while preparing the live installation and pick the non-uefi option when booting from usb.

update2: found the reason. according to this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1771651 you need to manually create an efi partition if you boot in UEFI mode and pick the "something else" option when the installation asks you if you want to partition your hard disk.

I feel like this is quite the crucial piece of information that the guide is missing.
    Last edited by elypzkou; January 23rd, 2021 at 11:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: full disk encryption problem with ubuntu 18.04

Quote Originally Posted by elypzkou View Post
    I feel like this is quite the crucial piece of information that the guide is missing.
    Then why not contact the author and sole editor of that guide? The page history for your link shows that "tj" is the sole editor, and links to tj's launchpad page where you can get their email if you log into launchpad.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.