Thread: Slow boot after drive removal

Beans

Slow boot after drive removal

Hello I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 had Ubuntu 16.04 on another drive that I disconnected from the computer. It use to take max of 1 minute to boot into Ubuntu 20.04. After I removed Ubuntu 16.04 from the other hard drive it now takes over 5 minutes to boot. I thought it was grub so I updated it and still has the slow boot time. What else can I do in order to get it to boot regularly? I can always but back the Ubuntu 16.04 and redo grub, but I rather not have to do that. Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Slow boot after drive removal

Check the fstab. It may have an entry for the old drive and it stalls while trying to mount it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Slow boot after drive removal

+ 1 for the above post

If the 16.04 drive had a swap partition and 20.04 was set to use the swap partition on the 16.04 drive, then 20.04 would spend time trying to mount the swap partition. I hit a problem recently that slowed the boot time. I installed Debian and allowed it to format the swap Partition. This gave the swap partition a new unique identifier which was different from that listed in /etc/fstab. And so, loading my installs of Ubuntu took much longer.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530