Thread: Virtual Private Server, please help!

Beans

Virtual Private Server, please help!

I'm running Centos 8, server, and need a private virtual server to simple web hosting for individual training so spend some hours to find a free one, for couple of day. Digital Ocean, Azure and Google they either require credit card info or telephone and address confirmation. Have been through reddit as well but no advice.Could anyone give any advice for a good free one, being able to register without any private info ? There are also so,e older post in here, but muck older to be used or has become absolute, literally from 2005.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Virtual Private Server, please help!

Not an Ubuntu support question.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Amazon had a free trial tier (micro-server) for 365 days, but I don't know whether that exists still or if it worked without
    a) amazon account
    b) payment method connected to amazon account

A few years ago, my LUG was kicked off our freely provided VPS because too many other people were abusing the offer by running crypto-mining 24/7 on these free servers. We never did, but the VPS provider felt they needed to kick everyone off to be fair. We ended up moving to someone's home on a Comcast business account - which isn't cheap. I have one too.

Lots of people moved their hosting to github or into CloudFlare caching. You can have the server hosted at home long enough for cloudflare to make a copy, then take your home server down and cloudflare will serve the pages, at least a year, so I've heard.
    https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/...namic-content/

Nearlyfreespeech.net is super cheap - like $0.30 a month. I don't keep up with their payment options, but it is all pre-paid. Back when they started, people would put a $10 bill into an envelope and mail it to open an account. I don't know if they still do that or what legal mandates are necessary. $10 would go pretty far ... or it could be eaten up in a crazy busy month, but the following month, the bandwidth bill would drop back to $0.30/month, probably. They aren't noob friendly. If you need more than sftp and ssh, this isn't the service for you.
    https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/services/hosting Yep, it is still $0.01/day ... but they've added infrastructure. Looks to be about $6/yr total.
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:08 AM.

Beans

Thanks for your reply in details.
    Uuumm... I agree that may reflect a “miner’s username” into professional eyes, as 24superuser. will try to come to another username if that would be the case <D

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Nearlyfreespeech.net is super cheap - like $0.30 a month… Yep, it is still $0.01/day ... but they've added infrastructure. Looks to be about $6/yr total.
    You never cease to amaze me with your wealth of info. It so happens that this option may be very timely and useful for me right now.

Thanks for sharing.